• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

motor wizard needed! lds ldt questions

bugei

ok motor wizards here is your chance to shine.

if the only internal differences between the lds and the ldt are
1) injection pump
2) pistons (cooling jets)
3) injectors (maybe)
4) what ever else i missed

what happens if i rebuild an ldt with these parts from an lds?

it seems easier to ship some pistons and a pump then an 1800 pound motor.

am i overlooking the obvious, or is this a "plan"?

i have not seen any indications that the rods, crank, or heads are any different, is that correct?

thanx in advance!!!

FreightTrain

Banned
The pistons have oil passages in them for cooling on the LDS along with a different shaped dish in the crown for the different injectors.Also,the starter is on the other side of the engine.It is more than just throw a set of 5 ton injectors in the engine and you have a LDS.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But the starter location doesn't have anything to do with the HP.

DanMartin

David Doyle told me that the injector pump is the same on both, but the LDS pump comes "turned up" for the bigger injectors. Same hardware, different setting out of the box.

The LDS might have a different camshaft, and definitely a different turbo.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
pump is same, injectors are same, different pistons and you must aim the oil nozzles precisly. turbo is different but how different is not obvious since my 205 hp lds only made 14 lbs boost. until someone dynos a turned up ldt swapping to a lds may be a waste of time.

bugei

tom, what about cams? do you know if they are the same? rods?

i am starting to think that a piston change and an agressive tuning may be my answer. lots less freight and i already have that engine

where are the oil schnozzles? are they part of the piston? if i buy new lds pistons (and rings of course) will they be there?

thanx you all, please keep it coming, i can not be the only one wondering about this

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
every ldt i have ever seen (in 18 years) have 2 holes. there was a 'bulletin' to up grade them a long time ago. there are different numbers but the fuel delivery rate is so close i can not imagine them all working just fine. oil schnozzles are on the block under the cylinder bore and on ldt just have to spray the piston, on lds they have to hit the hole in the bottom of the piston head. the cam may be different but just because it has a different part number does not mean that much, have to check specs.

rdixiemiller

Most LDT's have been upgraded to the 2 hole injectors, as far as I have ever seen. An old Army buddy told me they used to latch on to every LDS engine they could. They would strip off the IP, turbo, and a few other internal parts that he was not sure of and swap them into LDT engines. He said the old motor pool sergeant had a "personal" fleet of trucks for field maneuvers. I have seen a few LDS engines with standard "D" turbos on them as well.

I talked to the mechanic at Memphis Equipment concerning the same questions posted, and was surprised to find out that since he has been there 15 yrs plus, and use to build and repair motors until being promoted, he said that there really in no differance between the ldt and the lds internally. he stated that the motors that were built in the mid 80's were using the same internal parts as the lds motors to help in maintenance and for field repair if needed, in fact many lds motors had the "c" turbo installed as well as the "D" turbo. Both motors have the 2 hole tips, but the lds has 2 cc more fuel output and is timed 28 deg advanced rather than 20 deg as the ldt. somebody throw a 5 ton pump on ldt "c" turbo motor and see what the boost and pre turbo pyro temps get? im no expert, but thought id share my 2 cents of what i was told.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There has been more confusion over this subject than any I've ever seen :? . I too would like to know the facts on the matter. Everybody wants more power. I've got a "spare" LDT that I could tear into and see what I find. Anybody got a LDS that would do the same so we could compare notes?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an LDT on a stand in the garage. I could take some pics of it. The heads are off of it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WillWagner said:
I have an LDT on a stand in the garage. I could take some pics of it. The heads are off of it.
That would keep me from having to scatter my parts all over. Now my LDT is still all in one piece.
If you could take a pic of the top and bottom of the piston (if the pan is off). If you could pull a injector and take a close up of it ( I could pull a injector off mine if you'd rather not). If we could get pics of the parts in question on a LDT maybe someone will come forward with LDS pics.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure, i'll do it, but it will need to wait 'till after the trip this w-end. I had planned to come home today and get everything ready, but my wife had other plans. She needed a tree cut down. That over rode ANY of my plans!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WillWagner said:
Sure, i'll do it, but it will need to wait 'till after the trip this w-end. I had planned to come home today and get everything ready, but my wife had other plans. She needed a tree cut down. That over rode ANY of my plans!
Off topic, but...funny, that. I recently learned that what I really wanted to do was to rip out two walls, build ceiling beams and lay down hardwood floor. If it hadn't been for my better half, I would never have known! I would have wasted my time tinkering in the garage.

I also almost bought a deuce, but thanks to my lovely wife who I love dearly I learned that - apparently - a deuce can only be bought if it comes with a new kitchen!

Things you just don't know as a man! :wink:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: motor wizard needed! lds ldt questions

m-35tom said:
pump is same, injectors are same, different pistons and you must aim the oil nozzles precisly. turbo is different but how different is not obvious since my 205 hp lds only made 14 lbs boost. until someone dynos a turned up ldt swapping to a lds may be a waste of time.
The 200 hp (200 to 210?) multifuel had modifications for higher governed rpm, its 200 hp rating is at 2,800 rpm.
The pistons featured a 5th ring near the "skirt" and the crankshaft "increased counter weighting and reduced bearing clearances" among other things.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: motor wizard needed! lds ldt questions

every picture you could ever want to see of both engines is in the multifuel engine rebuilding manual

bugei

RE: Re: RE: motor wizard needed! lds ldt questions

where can i find the "rebuild manual" is it in the tm section? i feel possesed now!

i don't think i have wanted to see more pictures of something since i saw my first playboy :) and mv's are alot less expensive then that equipment :)

i think i found them, is this them?

TM 9-2815-210-34-2-1
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=32

TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=33

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: motor wizard needed! lds ldt questions

m-35tom said:
every picture you could ever want to see of both engines is in the multifuel engine rebuilding manual
Are the pictures clear enough in the manuals that you can tell the differance in the parts or do they show, say, a piston without enough detail to see a defferance between the two?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems a plain old LDT will produce alot of HP when turned up but EGT goes through the roof. I think if someone could come up with a way to lower the EGT we would be set. I'm sure a charge air cooler would help but I don't know where you would put it without making it look like a a3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks