• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mountain/snow shakedown

randini

I got my first Duece about a month ago, from "mark montana" here at steel soldiers. My first long trip was about 120 miles from where I live in salt lake city, over several moutain passes. Up to over 7000 ft. Hauling a car on a trailer.
Here is my experience, Going up over the moutain passed with about 6-7000 pound trailer, the truck seemed underpowered. On the return trip, with an empty hauler, it did much better. I was very happy with the truck on the way home. It was never over-powered, but I enjoyed it!
It is way cold. Hauling the trailer over parleys canyon, with a cover over the radiator it hit 200 degrees. So I removed the cardboard. On the return trip, when I am wet/cold/tired, it was freezing. I have a Jeep water heater I will install this weekend. I was thinking I may not need the heater, but now i really wish I had it on this drive.
NDT tires suck, On the ranch, there was 2 ft snow, + drifts. When I pulled of the main road I got about 50 feet and got stuck. The trailer was low and pushed a load of snow in front of the trailer. I unhitched the trailer and made a path to my property (about a 1 1/2 mile). This took about 45-minutes/hour. I retraced this path over and over. Un loaded the car from the dolly and ended up pulling the car with a chain to my property. The car stayed in the ruts in the snow. (The snow was half-way up the door). I should have air-down the tires more, but did not have any way to re-inflate. I was in a hurry to beat the sunset and just made it (I did not want to work in the dark). I did not get pitures at this point, I was battleing for my life...LOL!
On the way Home the truck never missed a beat, I could usually hold the gear on hills. I even passed a couple of semi's (one triple, fully loaded I am sure)

OK, here is what I learned;
1. I need a gladhand and hose to re-air tires. etc
2. I want a set of chains. The truck did OK without the trailer, but I beleive I would have done better with chains.
3. I will do the water heater ASAP. Even if it just for next year.
4. It might be nice to have some work lights at the back of the truck.
5. The Curt receiver install went well. Not as bad as I thought, when I looked at the frame. Although I hate it when the drill locks up and spins and smacks a finger. Arrg.....
6. I need more tools, a shovel would have been nice.
7. I love this truck!!! I had a **** of a time, and lived to tell the story. Everyone talks to me about the truck when I stop. Thanks to "mark Montana" for the truck!!

Questions...
1. Where does everyone keep tools in the Deuce? So far I have kept everything In the cab, under the seats. I am running out of room. What do you keep in storage under the cab, and what do you keep inside? The pioneer rack would be good, but how to keep tools from being stolen? I had a few 2x4s, but would need more if I hade to lift the truck, where do youall keep cribbing?
I have a couple of gallons of oil and 5 of water. Oil under the seat, water in the bed.
2. There is no lights in the cab. I have a small magnetic LED light to shine on the gauges. This works ok, But would like to see how every one has overcome this issue. I was thinking a small light to shine down on the gauges? I did see the additional LEDS in the gauges (seems interesting). I am thinking about an overhead console.
3. Any used tire chains? I have stock 900x20 NDT's. I would think with just one set of outer wheels with chains, it would not have been a problem. How is every one doing this?
4. The wheels were pack with snow. Can this effect balance? Should I have scraped the snow of the insides of the wheels?
5. I would think some spare parts would be in order to carry. I see lots of list of tools, but what parts do you carry? Anyone carry spare starter? Can we run if we lose the in-tank pump? What about a spare injector? What cant we run without? Should I carry this part?
6. Where do you mount work lights? Down low facing rear? On the back of the cab so it can light the bed also? What has worked best?

Attachments

gunboy1656

1. all the tools I carry fit in the under cab box.
2. To see the gauges all I do is turn on the gauge lights.I have no problem seeing them just fine.
3. I can't answer cause I refuse to drive my truck in winter, due to road salt.
4. should not matter much on the weights, can scrape them out if you wish.
5. only parts I carry are filters and belts, unless it is a long trip.
6. I don't have work lights on my truck.

I made up my air hose, did not cost me much at all.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is about 20 threads on what to carry with you on a road trip

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks