• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mounting 1600R20 tires on two piece rims

kfrosty

Piggy backing off this thread with a couple of questions.

I've got some 5 ton multi-piece wheels. They didn't come with bead locks.

I'm curious as to if anybody that choose not to run bead locks. Did you have any issues.

I'm bobbing a truck and putting a locker in the rear. I was thinking about bead locks as I'll be getting the truck in mud and 4x4ing some.

If recommended, it seems as if the bead locks used with 14's are different than 16's. If I have to find some, should I be looking for bead locks made for 16's?

Is there a good surplus place that sells take offs? (I'm going to post in the parts wanted but looking for a tire shop or something that sells these. I have one in mind I'm calling tomorrow but looking for options.)

Lastly, tire rubbing on the front. All I have is 5 ton wheels at the time. I don't like the idea of running any kind of spacers on wheels. With the 5 ton, is the wheel rub bad?

If you adjust the bump stops, how much turning radius do you loose? (It's not that great to start with.)

Thanks

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You won't have any issues unless u run the air pressure down to where they pop off the rim. I ran it on an older M61 I had with no issues. Your turning radius on any truck goes from 4.5acres with 14.00s to 6 acres with the 16.00s Figuratively speaking. and the beadlock insert doesn't matter for tire size. As long as it is for the 20X10 it will work. or the 20x11 wheel it will work with that.

I am sure a few people here have the inserts available.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As said above in less you are going to air way way down then no bead locks. I have had no trouble going from the road to the mud pit and not airing down. What gets you stuck is not knowing how deep a hole is.

red

I'm not running bead locks or run flats in my 395's on the wrecker. Stand the tire/wheel upright when you're inflating and the beads will seat easily.

kfrosty

You won't have any issues unless u run the air pressure down to where they pop off the rim. I ran it on an older M61 I had with no issues. Your turning radius on any truck goes from 4.5acres with 14.00s to 6 acres with the 16.00s Figuratively speaking. and the beadlock insert doesn't matter for tire size. As long as it is for the 20X10 it will work. or the 20x11 wheel it will work with that.

I am sure a few people here have the inserts available.
I typically only run 35 to 40psi in these to start with. Hopefully I can get the CTIS functioning and if so, whatever the lowest setting is that will go too.

Andrmorr

Yes those beadlocks will work with the 16R20 tires...The Hutchinson beadlock part number is B3040 for 16r20 tires... they are the metal strip with rubber on both edges...The Hutchinson part number for 14r20 tires is: D4539-3 ...It is common for a 16" tire to be mounted with a 14" beadlock but it is WAY tight and is a lot of stress on the lugs and nuts...mostly because most guys do not realize the 16s have a thicker bead and there are different beadlocks...the beadlock for a 16 is 7.25 wide, and a beadlock for a 14 is 8 inches wide...that 3/4 inch has to be compressed and go somewhere...it usually causes the rubber beadlock to bunch up in the middle...not great but it is better than it would be if a narrow 16" beadlock was mounted in a 14" tire since it would not reach the tires bead on both sides and would be flopping around possibly damaging the beadwall from the inside, causing vibrations and eventually breaking apart since it's sheet metal... The Cage Code mentioned in this thread is the Code for the Manufacturer: HUTCHINSON, not the part number.
see pics for illustration...

METAL 16" BEADLOCK 16" PART NUMBER RUBBER 14" BEADLOCK 14" PART NUMBER

Attachments