• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting 395's

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been searching for quite some time for a thread I saw that gave instructions with pictures on mounting 395's on HEMTT rims. Can someone point me in the right direction?

hemichallenger

I have never put 395s on hemtt rims. I have put many on deuce rims. I have mounted many 1400 and 1600 on hemtt rims. They should be the same. Unbolt the rim put the valve stem in take the core out. I most of the time block the back half of the rim off the ground so the the tire does not hit the concrete. Check inside the tire and clean if needed. I use pb blaster or wd 40 to wet the rim and bead. Then flop the tire on the wheel spray the o ring put it on without rolling it line up the valve stem bolt the rim togather. I use a 1/2 air gun and criss cross to start and then make a circle pattern when done. then air it up until it seats and then put the core in. Sometimes if they wont air up i stand them up and get one side to seat by beating it with a sledge hammer and then spin it arround and lean the loose side out and wack it while you are airing it up. Also it the stem does not line up with the hole straight enough to air it up put a small box end neer the middle and bend it a little. Keep away from the end. It is easer than i made it sound. If you were closer i would do them for you.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ted. Maybe if I moved closer you could come by!! Anyway, the valve stem is a concern. I am attaching a picture of the ones I have and in their current shape, they are not going to protrude from the stem hole in the rim. Are you saying I might be able to bend them to straighten them out a little?

Attachments

hemichallenger

They will not come out the hole. You will need to bend it to get it in a spot were your tire chuck will fit in the hole straight enough to air it up. I bend them after they are tight in the rim.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ted, another question. How do you get the cap on and off? If you have fat fingers, it would appear to be impossible. Also, how tight do you make them when installing and do you lubricate the rubber?

hemichallenger

I have fat fingers i just do not put the caps real tight. I put the stems in dry and tighten them up good and tight so they will not go back and forth.

hemichallenger

Glad to help. Thanks for the complement. Here is a picture of some rims i put togather with the valve stems outside and not out the holes just had to bend them a little more. With that offset they are 101 inches wide outside to outside. They are 1600s. Ted

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, 225lbs for the tire and 160ish for the rim. Make sure you have a way to load the combination into the bed if you get a flat. I have a come-along for now, someday a crane.