• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting a snow plow on a LMTV 1078 First Post

browndktr

Hi everyone. This is my first post after doing a lot of reading over the last few months. Thank you all in advance for all the information on this site!

I am contemplating putting a boss 10' DXT V plow on either a 5ton or M1078. I'd prefer to go the M1078 route for maneuverability purposes. I have seen a bunch of straight blades mounted on these trucks in this forum but none of the V's. The Boss 10' DXT I mentioned is the biggest, heaviest one I can find.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with something like this?

The reason for this little project is after moving back to Maine 2 of the last three winters have seen drifts on my farm roads that my one ton with V plow simply won't touch. I either end up stuck or broken down, or both. I've been using a combination of tractor mounted snowblowers and the tractor buckets when things get real bad and its painfully slow. I'm hoping to find a solution that would allow me to wait out the 3' storms we have been getting and plow when the storm is over and in the daylight...so the V plow is a must. The problems always seem to arise in the middle of the night and the middle of the storm. With my current setup I just can't wait, I have to get out and keep the drifts back.

Thanks again.

browndktr

MidnightDuramax, I would appreciate the dimensions you used for the subframe, and will thank you for any pics you can post. I am putting a parts list together and am rounding up metal stock for this project. My goal is to have this plow in working order by this summer. We got our collective butts kicked by snow down here this winter. We have a Blizzard 8' HD plow mounted on a Chevy 1-1/4 ton truck (M1008) that took a good beating keeping ~6 miles of gravel road, including steep canyon grades, open during heavy snow fall.
Same here. I'd love to see the dimensions and or diagrams anyone out there might have.

We got about 100" of snow in a 9 day period last winter. It was rough. Hence my search for a new snow removal machine.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone wants help putting a hydraulic system using a PTO with pressure compensation pump together, send a PM. The PTO's I have are not the same but I have no doubts the flange kits are available for about any pump mounts. I'm peddling my fixed displacement (for 939 series and M35A3 (high flow for winch)) to go to the variable displacement pump.

browndktr

Sometimes you just get lucky! My brother spotted a tv show a couple days ago where they basically made up the exact thing I'm planning to do. There are enough pictures of the build over the course of the show that Im pretty sure I can replicate it. I tried to contact the shop that is filmed in the show hoping to purchase the CAD drawings or just have them make a subframe for me, but they didn't reply. It is season 3 episode 3 of Diesel Brothers for those of you who are interested. Here are a few shots of the plow subframe they made.

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 8.11.29 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-09-21 at 8.14.08 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-09-21 at 8.16.25 PM.jpg

DawGoneIt

Cool show and photos of the build...did they use CAD drawings to design this subframe mount? We pretty much looked at the pictures that midnightduramax posted and thought those lined up well with what materials we have on hand (big thank you to midnightduramax!). Hope you get those drawings! Forgot to mention (?) the plow we are going to mount is built by Fisher.

Last edited:

browndktr

It did appear in the show they had modeled it in a CAD program.

I plan to mount the 10’ boss dxt on the truck. It appears to be the largest V I can find that is still adjustable and not just fixed in a V.

DawGoneIt

Great set-up.

You'll likely benefit from weight over that rear (drive) axle come plow season, do you think?
We have a surplus older sand/salt spreader from the AFB in Spokane years ago that will get chained down on the bed. The spreader is another project to get running, but as weight its good enough. We will run chains on all tires as there are several steep grades to keep clear of snow. Realistically, we should be using a wider plow blade, but this works for now.

DawGoneIt

This phase of the plow LMTV is completed. Crossing mts between Yakima Valley and Klickitat River, stopped to take a few photos. My buddy Milo from Milo's Body Shop wired the lights and controls, and bolted wings to both ends of the plow. Wings are Snow-Dogg (?) attachments that matched up well. Milo swapped out the 24v motor with a 12v, and isolated the plow power/controller/light switches to their own circuit (he did get the turn signals wired to the trucks turn signal circuit).

IMG-0605.jpgIMG-0607.jpgIMG-0611.jpg

Reworked LMTV

This phase of the plow LMTV is completed. Crossing mts between Yakima Valley and Klickitat River, stopped to take a few photos. My buddy Milo from Milo's Body Shop wired the lights and controls, and bolted wings to both ends of the plow. Wings are Snow-Dogg (?) attachments that matched up well. Milo swapped out the 24v motor with a 12v, and isolated the plow power/controller/light switches to their own circuit (he did get the turn signals wired to the trucks turn signal circuit). View attachment 712760View attachment 712761View attachment 712762
Wow, that is really nice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks