• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting a snow plow on a LMTV 1078 First Post

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this today in Evansville, IN. This was all the closer I could get.

3EF61FDB-9575-47DA-A44C-E1AB0D3A3224.jpg

It looks like the ANG units have figured out a way to mount a commercial plow!

Last edited:
I just watched Diesel Bros. episode on FMTV plow truck...WARNING!: Do NOT build a mount like they did!! It is not structurally sound!!

Their design [presumably] assumes that the two brackets that drop down vertically inside the frame rails that hold the plates under the bumper (photo attached - see #4 and #13 on exploded view) provide structure...they do not. Each is only attached with an upper and lower bolt.

Further, the upper mounts at the shackle points mearly "suspend" the plow mount in place but provide absolutely no structural integrity as all of the force from the plow transfers to the very bottom of the mount and acts to push the bottom back, pivoting on the upper mounts.

By way of pivoting on the upper mounts (at the shackle mounting points), their design transfers almost 100% of the force of the plow/resistance to a single bolt on each side that holds these vertical brackets to the frame rail.

A plow mount for the FMTV MUST transfer this rotational force all the way back to the frame rail.

Skitch.jpg Untitled1.jpg

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter

A plow mount for the FMTV MUST transfer this rotational force all the way back to the frame rail.

View attachment 717440 View attachment 717441
Yeah, I wondered about that when I saw that show. I always saw that angled plate under the bumper as a “skid” plate more than something structural. Basically to keep brush, etc from getting hung up in the radiator & fan. Granted it is a very heavy gauge skid plate... but needed on a vehicle of this size.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a forward crossmember - it is shown in a different view (attached), but is does not provide any structure to the DB plow mount.

View attachment 717461
Oh yea, now I see it in the photo also. I don't have skin in the LMTV game. But I design by the fact that 3 points determine a plane. Mounts better be darn solid for a plow.

Last edited:

coachgeo

c
I just watched Diesel Bros. episode on FMTV plow truck...WARNING!: Do NOT build a mount like they did!! It is not structurally sound!!

Their design [presumably] assumes that the two brackets that drop down vertically inside the frame rails that hold the plates under the bumper (photo attached - see #4 and #13 on exploded view) provide structure...they do not. Each is only attached with an upper and lower bolt.

Further, the upper mounts at the shackle points mearly "suspend" the plow mount in place but provide absolutely no structural integrity as all of the force from the plow transfers to the very bottom of the mount and acts to push the bottom back, pivoting on the upper mounts.

By way of pivoting on the upper mounts (at the shackle mounting points), their design transfers almost 100% of the force of the plow/resistance to a single bolt on each side that holds these vertical brackets to the frame rail.

View attachment 717440 View attachment 717441
Thanks for the edited in details compared to first post. Offers much more to the knowledge bank in here. Kudo's

scottmandu

Yeah, I wondered about that when I saw that show. I always saw that angled plate under the bumper as a “skid” plate more than something structural. Basically to keep brush, etc from getting hung up in the radiator & fan. Granted it is a very heavy gauge skid plate... but needed on a vehicle of this size.
That plate on the newer trucks is fiberglass. It weighs about 1/3 the weight of the steel piece, and costs 10 times as much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks