• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mounting a Warn 18000 lb winch

Vintage iron

We had a customer ask, if we could mount his Warn 18000lb. winch on his M109A4 for him. We have done a few winches on different vehicles and were up for the challenge. So Here are some pictures during the design and fabrication. The final product came out great! I know he will be blown away when he sees it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vintage iron

I would have to put on bumper extensions to fit it between the frame rails. The A4 has a big radiator and inter cooler. I tucked it up as far as I could .

Vintage iron

Another member mentioned that it looks like the power cable are running on metal in the picture. I actually made sure to secure the power cables away from areas that could chaff. I also added a extra layer of thick industrial heat shrink tubing in any area that could rub at all.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work. I haven't been under an A3 in years so I have to guess there wasn't enough room between the frame rails. That space is is probably occupied by engine stuff.

That looks like the kind of plate I'd need to put a winch between the frame rails in the rear of a deuce. Been thinking about a rear mount winch for awhile.

bill2444

I was just thinking about this today, when after the conclusion that my 5ton winch with level wind is just to much for a clean install on the front of my deuce. Don't suspose you want to try that warn out-- and tell us how she'll do in a real world pulling senerio.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone got an old copy of "Winchtest.com"
You do not want to compare a PTO winch to and commercial electric. Completely different performance expectation.

Installation looks very nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks