• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Move batteries to the bed?

kapnklug

I've been thinking of moving the batteries in my M1009 to the back of the bed, just inside the tailgate behind the wheelwells one on each side. The truck came with the huge Armasafe military batteries, which seem to have no vents on them. Are these safe to mount inside the passenger compartment, or do they still vent hydrogen somehow? They are slightly narrower than the wheelwell, so they wouldn't stick out into the bed, and the bussbars for the radio (behind the pass. seat) would mean the wiring is already halfway done. The connection between the two could be run under the bed. The pass one would have to be raised a little to clear the fuel filler bumpout, but other than that it looks easy to fab some solid hold-downs.
My real concern is, is this safe? And would I need to run larger gauge cable than what's already there?

Stihl029

I Have a service body on my M1028 and have been thinking about the same idea, only to a compartment... but yes I do have a turbo I got off of ebay that I plan on installing one of these days. Space is limited with the winterization gear. I do plan on keeping some spare batteries up in the engine bay but only parrellel on their prospective circuits.

kapnklug

u guessed it

That's exactly why I want to move them, I just bought a turbo kit on ebay (see my previous thread). Also I'm looking for space to mount a larger, heated fuel filter setup that's 16" tall, and the only spot with that kind of depth is right where the front battery now sits. It might take some time to remount the batteries in back, but as far as expense I don't see it costing anything at all -- I've got enough junk lying around.

skark_burmer

Im sure the SAE or safety natzi's might argue here, but i would have no problem mounting them in the bed. the only time they are going to gas is under heavy load, and even then its not like we are talking about a large volume.
Just make sure to use high quality cable, fatter the better.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only safe way to move your batteries into the passenger compartment is to put them in a totally enclosed structure(battery box) that is vented to the outside air.

I'm sorry if this embarrasses you but, post numbers 6 and 7 are two of the most foolish things I have ever read. I simply can't believe what I read posted on the Internet, some days! (btw, lead acid batteries typically emit gas when charged, not when a load is drawn)

Simply put, sealed or vented, occasionally batteries can and do explode, when they fail(usually due to an overcharging alternator).

CUCVs are definitely not known for their bullet proof charging systems!:p

There have been a few guys that removed the front battery tray and used 2 group 31(or suitable) sized batteries, on the rear battery tray.

I think that would be an easy modification, if it allows the space you need.

Last edited:

5ton4ever

I would definitely not put them in the passenger compartment, not only because of the hydrogen gas thats emitted when they are charging, which is explosive, but what if the unthinkable happens and the vehicle rolls over and sprays sulfuric acid all over the passengers? You could be sitting at a stop light and some idiot runs into you and no telling what could happen. Try to relocate them under the hood if possible.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Doghead. Mounting batteries in the passenger compartment of a vehicle is not a good idea if it's not done properly.

It can be done if the proper safety precautions are followed. Just a few of them are:

The batteries need to be secured in an explosion proof box.
The box needs to be vented to the outside of the vehicle.
The wiring to the starter needs to be upgraded to a much heavier gauge to compensate for the additional voltage drop under heavy loads. The wiring needs to be well secured and properly installed to prevent shorting out to the vehicle chassis.
Do not rely on the factory wiring.

Having an unprotected battery explode in the vehicle is something you don't want to happen.
The best place for them is under the hood. It can be done if it is necessary to make room for additional items under the hood.
If you do choose to move them, make sure it is done correctly. Don't cut corners on this project.

emr

yeesh who is the guys who is calling people with different opinions natsis. childlike at best my friend. and yes batts are dangerous, it does not take a natsi to figure this simple operation out.:cookoo:

Stihl029

Well my plan on moving the batteries is to move them into one of the compartments on the service body. I have scored a terminal strip on ebay a while back from another CUCV for use in the soon to be new battery compartment. I do plan on upgrading the wiring, and do understand the friction loss on wiring with DC systems. I know its overkill but from one strip to the next I plan on using 2/0 and running the wires in flexible conduit that is properly secured. When will this be done? Not sure gotta get my XJ back up first; but I will take some pics once I get done. sorry to highjack that is just where I am at. Yes i understand the hydrogen sulfide put off, I am running now and plan to get more AGM batteries. They seem to be pretty bad arse and have put up with alot of abuse. Ok thank you I will return to my hole till I pop up to help others or have a Q.

jimmy-90

If you have to go through a yearly vehicle inspection in your state you probly wont be able to pass it with the batteries mounted in the passenger compartment.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plenty of MVs have batteries in the "passenger" compartment, M37, M656/XM757, M925, for example. Other models have the batteries moved to the passenger compartment when the winterization kit is installed (M35, M809..)
Batteries will emit hydrogen (in excessive amounts) when overcharging, not under normal use. Armasafe batteries have safety valves for this reason, like Optimas. The design of the charger can eliminate overcharging.
With proper maintenance, they are safe, IMHO and having them close to you may even keep them from being neglected.
Take a look at marine, like in boats, installations, lot of good info there, yes venting is important.
Gasoline or diesel in a tank a few feet away is potentially far more dangerous.

Edit: Added note on overcharging to clarify.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks