• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Movie Vehicle Rental - Central Texas

captcarc

I have been in contact with a company filming an apocalyptic flic about a 2 hour drive south of Dallas, TX the end of JAN and early FEB. This is a low-budget project but you may have a chance to get your rig(s) in a made-for-TV-movie. They are interested in my tan deuce and 5-ton and need a couple of tan Humvees and a green deuce...minimal driving and mostly static display filming. Vehicles must be as close to stock as possible. Let me know your interest and if you have what they need. Thanks.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What location exactly? There's a lot of places 2 hours south of Dallas. That being said I should have a freshly painted green deuce w/ gun ring done by mid-Jan.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If it is a paying gig make sure you have a signed contract expressing exactly what your vehicles will be used for and the daily rate. I charge 300 per day plus expenses for the M927. Do not, under any circumstances, let someone from the production company drive your vehicles unless they have copious amounts of insurance. Also make sure they have at least a one million dollar liability insurance policy to cover you and your vehicle whenever you are on the set in case someone is hurt in or around your vehicle. This type insurance is not all that expensive. I carry a similar policy in order to maintain offices at one of the locations I manage. Being in and around movie productions is cool but there is a lot of "hurry up and wait" and "change 32" on the set.
Good luck and have fun with it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be interested in knowing what the pay rate is also. I have a fully stock M35A2 with cargo cover in 3 color camo. Last time someone wanted to rent it they were only willing to pay $100/day plus wanted to paint it tan. I told them fine as long as we had a 90 day contract. They passed.

captcarc

Thanks for your tips. I don't see Humvee topics on this site and they need 2 Humvees, tan, and preferably with 50cal. They also need a couple/few interesting dune buggies and two Jeeps to buy...one, possibly a non-runner to blow up. They tell me that the Jeep deals have really low funding.

Jeepsinker

I have a few trucks. Have a deuce they could blow up, but no jeeps or humvees. They could use my deuce for the shoot as well. Pm me some specifics, I am interested.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blowing up a authentic military Jeep is going to be expensive, even if it is a non-runner.

machinist75

Me and some guys lent our trucks for the movie "Daylights End" last year and still havnt seen the $100 for fuel that was promised. Texas is not a good place for movies right now. Better in Louisiana and Georgia.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several years ago, I made good money doing a movie in San Antonio, but that was for Paramount.
I'm too embarrassed to name the movie, what a piece of garbage!!

We had a contract, they paid the insurance, housing and meals, and they paid industry rates for the vehicles, as well as extra for me to drive (as a "specialized type" non-union driver). At that time, the rate for a 5-ton was $600 a day, an M1009 was $400 a day, and wheeled armour $4000 a day (yes, 4000!). The price is the same if it rolls, or sits in a parking lot all day.
I also got paid as a military technical advisor, even though they didn't listen to a word I said. :roll:
Did 7 days work for them.

I've done some low-budget stuff, but only when the filming took place on my property. If I drive out my gate, industry rates applied. The Discovery channel was the hardest one to deal with, they were cheap sob's and still owe me.

The cheapest movie we did was for some students at UT, they filmed on the farm and paid in tacos and cold Cokes, and it was worth it!

Cheers

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several years ago, I made good money doing a movie in San Antonio, but that was for Paramount.
I'm too embarrassed to name the movie, what a piece of garbage!!
Name the movie or it didn't happen Rory.

;-)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cheapest movie we did was for some students at UT, they filmed on the farm and paid in tacos and cold Cokes, and it was worth it!
Weren't we supposed to get DVD copies of that? I still haven't seen it (or Sarge) in all it's glory.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weren't we supposed to get DVD copies of that? I still haven't seen it in all it's glory.
We did get our copies of that movie, its.......entertaining. :)
Parts of it are on Youtube, The Walk with Darkness.

Name the movie or it didn't happen Rory.

:wink:
Sigh......Stop Loss :oops:

At first I declined to do the movie, as I really didn't like their story. But then we talked money...
We did the US stuff, not the "Iraq" bit. Seems like 99% of what we filmed ended up on the cutting room floor. For all the driving we did, all you see are the wheels of my parked M813 out a bus window near the end of the movie, and a blurry shot of me and Sarge at one point. We're pretty easy to recognize, as we were the only ones allowed to have our uniform sleeves rolled up on-set during the filming.
It was hot, so the extras in uniform would start to roll their sleeves up, only to be yelled at by their wranglers.
One of the youngsters pointed at me and whined "But his sleeves are rolled up!?".
The wrangler responded, shouting, "Shut the &^%$ up! He's a Marine, they do that!".
The extra then pointed at Sarge, only to hear "Shut the *&$% up! He's a retired First Sergeant!".

Cheers

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
, and wheeled armour $4000 a day (yes, 4000!). The price is the same if it rolls, or sits in a parking lot all day.
Dang, I'd own me a tank if I knew I could rent it for $4K a day. Wouldn't take long to pay for it if you could keep it rented.

M1031CMT

Good luck if any of you decide to go forward with it. I hope it goes well.

We have been asked to rent our vehicles a couple times but decided against it each time. The people would either have absolutely no idea what they actually wanted (dicking us around with dozens of calls and emails a day asking the same thing over and over) or they wanted to do stupid stuff with the vehicles (one production company wanted to have 10 year old kids driving deuces around a track). They also wanted us to simply show up with all the equipment to their location (7 hours away) where they would choose what they wanted then pay us just for the truck/trucks that got on screen (and naturally they didn't want to pay for anything). I started ignoring emails from production companies after that.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the majority of what you will get.

I had one bunch call wanting to rent my V100. Then they said they wanted to vis-mod it to look like an M1117.
"How would you do that?" says I.
Says they, "We'd just weld some brackets to the turret and stuff, you know, nothing permanent".
"Click" says I.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks