• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving 10 ton tractor

AMGeneral

I'm leaving early Sat morning or late Fri night to go to Chesterfield VA to get my first look at the M123A1C I bought.Does anyone know the width of a 10 ton with the outer duals and rear fenderettes removed?Is it less than 102"?Does anyone know of a trucking company in the Chesterfield/Midlothian VA aera able to transport such a beast?The truck is located at Southside Speedway.Thanks,

AMGeneral

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I will sort of answer your question. When mine was moved, the quarter fenders and outer duals were removed, and the mirrors folded in. The warning beacon, which mounts to the top of the winch, was also removed. Then it was loaded on a flatbed trailer and moved legally across several states.

Hope this helps,
David

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A trucking company should have overwidth permits to move it. Permit flag it and your on your way

Chuck

TacticalTruck

David is correct. Remove outer duals and rear fenders and you are good to go. I use Fred's Towing in Henderson, NC to move my overwidth Bulldog. 252-430-0082. He hasa blanket overwidth permit which allows the movement of construction equipment which mayor may not cover the tractor. Even if it dosen', the permit isn't that much more $ if you don't want to mess w/ the wheels.
Jeff

NEIOWA

If you're towing remove the duals. If hauling just buy the overwidth permits. Less expensive or a lot less of a pain in the butt (do the work yourself and then you have to load/haul 4x 500lb wheels or find someone locally to do the work and pay them a couple hundred to bring out the Ag tire service truck).

I've moved 5x M911 HET. Tow 1x; drive/tow 1x; haul 3x.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
AMGeneral I live about 20minutes from Southside speedway. If you need any help or want any company I could drop by. I go by the track all the time for work and have never seen it there before. Is it actually at the track or one of the businesses next door? Depending on the way you are driving up you probably are going to be driving a couple minutes from my house if you need to make a pitstop.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Moving 10 ton tractor

Towman2277 said:
You see, thats the great thing about this site! Everyone pitching in to help with our desire to own these "huge" ole' trucks! Teamwork at it's best!!
Well that and I want a ride :D

AMGeneral

builder 77,
PM sent

TOWMAN2277,

The seller wants the truck moved by the 28 th of OCT,I'm working on a lowboy now,hopefully I can move it the 21 or 28th of Oct.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well I just got back a bit ago from helping out. It is always good to meet another nice guy thru steelsoldiers. It is a good thing I gave a hand as those tires were very hard to hand with two people, and I am sure would have been dangerous with only one. That is was one big truck.

AMGeneral

Further info,
Although the damage to this truck looked extensive,it turned out to be mostly cosmetic.The only mechanical breaks seem to be the radiator and front steering knuckle ball joint,forutantely it hasen't been overly modified or cannibalized.Hopefully I will have it cleaned up and running within two weeks of getting it here.