• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving a 40' Container

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmall07

Hello All,

I wanted to see if any of you know if a mil trailer or dolly set that is designed to move 40' containers. I have a high cube container that I need to drag up a mountain. The only hiccup is there's a fairly tight left hand turn which will limit the overall wheelbase of the rig. I don't think anything will fit that puts the wheels behind the container or even right at the rear. Ideallly the wheels would be about 1/3 of the way from the back of the box. I'm considering buying a 5-ton tractor to complete the task. The container will be empty, 8700# tare weight.

Thanks in advance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drag it with a dozer.

86m1028

Check with a container delivery company in the area.
I had one moved a few years back (truck was a short wheelbase bob tail with a Landoll trailer)
To put it where I wanted it, he had a sharp turn to make so he pulled the axles forward on the trailer to shorten the turning radius.

tsmall07

There's not any container delivery companies in the area. I'm trying to get this done myself using something other than a phone and a checkbook.

86m1028

Then give it a try with the F550
Ive hauled them with an F350 & a gooseneck.

Edit: with a 30-35ft gooseneck that will put your trailer axles about where you want them.
But keep in mind the farther you move the axles forward the less weight you will have on trucks rear axle (low traction) is your F550 4x4 ?

Last edited:

tsmall07

Then give it a try with the F550
Ive hauled them with an F350 & a gooseneck.

Edit: with a 30-35ft gooseneck that will put your trailer axles about where you want them.
But keep in mind the farther you move the axles forward the less weight you will have on trucks rear axle (low traction) is your F550 4x4 ?
My eventual f550 will be. My options are to either buy a 5-ton or an f550. Thinking of putting at least a Detroit locker in the rear, too. I was thinking 35' would be a good length. I do really want to have adequate pin weight.

This should work fine unless it's a really nasty road, but I would buy the 5ton just incase you spin out. You obviously want it anyway...
I do really want one, but I'd prefer a cargo truck which wouldn't really be great for this job unless I get one of those really long wheelbase trucks and stick it up in the bed. Haha

tsmall07

The main purpose of this post was to determine if there was any purpose built military trailer which I could cruise govplanet for and buy. It sounds like the answer to that question is no.

redrustyhill

There is a purpose built dolly for moving containers. It has a set of wheels that attach behind and a set in the front which have a tongue for turning. I have a small dolly that was made for 20' shelter systems. I am not sure of the nomenclature of the larger one designed for moving shipping containers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

86m1028

There is a purpose built dolly for moving containers. It has a set of wheels that attach behind and a set in the front which have a tough for turning. I have a small dolly that was made for 20' shelter systems. I am not sure of the nomenclature of the larger one designed for moving shipping containers.
The m1022 was for 20ft containers. I bought one to do this with.
Long story short, it doesn't work. There is no sharp turning with a 20ft much less a 40fter.
He has a "high cube" 40ft, it won't bolt up & besides even if it did, you would need 5 acres to turn it around.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of solutions to the problem.

A professional company can move it for you. Think house mover.
Rent a dozer and drag it.
Rent steel to make a skid frame and drag it with a dozer.
Get 3 old axles and weld them to a sub frame with one on each and and in the middle and set the box on it and tow it up with a Dodge 1500 4x4 with some weight in the bed.
Buy a 5-ton with a 30-foot military flatbed and tow it up.
Buy the F550 and tow it up.

So many possibilities and all require a phone and a checkbook.credit card.

redrustyhill

The m1022 was for 20ft containers. I bought one to do this with.
Long story short, it doesn't work. There is no sharp turning with a 20ft much less a 40fter.
He has a "high cube" 40ft, it won't bolt up & besides even if it did, you would need 5 acres to turn it around.
It might not just bolt up but it wouldn't be too difficult to make a bracket to make it bolt up. A 40' container/trailer takes room to maneuver regardless what sort of wheels are under it. My 40' gooseneck trailer would have a difficult time making hairpin turns on a mountain road but if logging trucks do it with 50+" trailers, I'm sure the container dolly would work

redrustyhill

The m1022 25 ton dolly will handle 40ft high cube containers according to the container load video on YouTube, the video was made my the manufacturing company

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It'd be cheaper, faster and easier to hire a guy with a dozer for an hour, and drag it into place than to buy something you wont need ever again.

redrustyhill

Watch "container becomes trailer " on you tube. Dragging a container with a dozer is going to tear up the road, tear up the container (if not destroy it), and it is extremely un maneuverable dragging a box like that. Unless it's just a very short distance dragging it is a terrible choice. That's why the CLT was invented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks