• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving a 40' Container

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Watch "container becomes trailer " on you tube. Dragging a container with a dozer is going to tear up the road, tear up the container (if not destroy it), and it is extremely un maneuverable dragging a box like that. Unless it's just a very short distance dragging it is a terrible choice. That's why the CLT was invented.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Cat D-6 with a ripper on the back or bigger lift the front of the container and you won't even have back the dozer down the road or raise it with the blade and pull it in reverse . By the time you buy a tractor and a specialized container trailer you could build a pole barn cheaper. You can grade the road on the way out.

redrustyhill

Cat D-6 with a ripper on the back or bigger lift the front of the container and you won't even have back the dozer down the road or raise it with the blade and pull it in reverse . By the time you buy a tractor and a specialized container trailer you could build a pole barn cheaper. You can grade the road on the way out.
I grade roads for my job, I know full well how fast steel wears out dragging on a road surface. Dragging a container like that with one end lifted and one end dragging will destroy the container quickly. No way in **** I'd drag it like that if it was my container. Its a Bad option and the least desirable.

tsmall07

Watch "container becomes trailer " on you tube. Dragging a container with a dozer is going to tear up the road, tear up the container (if not destroy it), and it is extremely un maneuverable dragging a box like that. Unless it's just a very short distance dragging it is a terrible choice. That's why the CLT was invented.

Yes, dragging with a dozer isn't even in the list of choices.

tsmall07

It'd be cheaper, faster and easier to hire a guy with a dozer for an hour, and drag it into place than to buy something you wont need ever again.
Who says I won't need it ever again? There's a demand for people that can put a container in a difficult location. It might be cheap to hire a dozer, but extremely expensive to fix the road once it's completely torn to shreds.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What it the road surface? What's your time frame, do you get frost there, whose road is it and what is the road surface, etc...

Put 6x6 under it as skids.

You asked for help and we all tried to help.

You have to buy whatever it is you use since all you currently have is the container.

Sorry I made an assumption and tried to be practical and help you with my own experiance.

Go buy a truck and build a custom trailer.

Let me know when you want this thread closed, as your original question has been answered(No).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You said you had a(1) container to move, I should have assumed you meant you wanted to do this repeatedly for others to? :sad:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a high cube container that I need to drag up a mountain.
Totally misinterpreted this, I guess.

tsmall07

What it the road surface? What's your time frame, do you get frost there, whose road is it and what is the road surface, etc...

Put 6x6 under it as skids.

You asked for help and we all tried to help.

You have to buy whatever it is you use since all you currently have is the container.

Sorry I made an assumption and tried to be practical and help you with my own experiance.

Go buy a truck and build a custom trailer.

Let me know when you want this thread closed, as your original question has been answered(No).
I do appreciate the attempt to help and I probably didn't provide enough information in the original post. I assumed my point would be more clear since I posted this in the "trailers" sub forum. I've been over all of the available options in my head a thousand times and I was looking for a new one. I already had a professional company deliver the thing to the bottom of the mountain but they couldn't get up the hill because they showed up in a OTR semi. I'm using this as an excuse to convince my wife to let me get into a truck and trailer. I'll plow with whatever truck I end up with and I might sell the trailer after I use it. Who knows. I'd rather spend $20k buying my own stuff and doing it myself and then sell the stuff than trust someone else to get it done the way I want it. We can consider this thread closed since I now have the info I was after.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be more concerned of the dozer operators in the area that couldn't drag something up the hill without doing so much damage you couldn't drag it out with a rake.

But hey, buy a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks