• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving a 5ton gasser

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You guys can't use WC for wheel chock, Westy has alreadt claimed it for White Castles when he makes it into Ohio. They don't have WC up n Wisconsin!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You guys can't use WC for wheel chock, Westy has alreadt claimed it for White Castles when he makes it into Ohio. They don't have WC up n Wisconsin!
What about the small case wc for wheel chock, UPPER CASE WC for WHITE CASTLE, cucvs don't rate a UPPER CASE WC anyway

derby

In reading this post I had a thought. How much does a loaded semi trailer weigh in regards to the tractor pulling it? The new F150 will tow 11,200 lbs and the truck weighs about half. I am not condoning anything unsafe, and I know it may not be apples to apples, just a thought

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In reading this post I had a thought. How much does a loaded semi trailer weigh in regards to the tractor pulling it? The new F150 will tow 11,200 lbs and the truck weighs about half. I am not condoning anything unsafe, and I know it may not be apples to apples, just a thought
a loaded trailer puts a lot of weight on the tractor

the 150 will have a lot of weight transferred from the trailer, also the truck is set up to do that with a SEPERATE brake controller, ect, still you put 11200 behind a 150, it will push, just because it will, does not mean you should, a 1/2 ton pick up will pull a 819, not sure it would be a good idea to do

Last edited:

91W350

Sorry to be off topic, how long is the bed on that thing?

LOL, me too!! How to explain it to the wife would be a major.:whistle:
I am not sure, but width, height, weight, length, it dwarfs my deuce. They were using it to winch out a bunch of small cottonwood trees. His grandson was operating the truck, to speed things up, he backed up to tighten the cable. No winch needed, the old turd would pull them out in low reverse idling, squashing the front tires down a little, but idling out the trees. We have pulled cranes around the yard with it and frequently use it to pull start antique Caterpillars. We did quit running it to town to fuel up though, much cheaper to just haul fuel to it.

Found a photo of the data plate, 30 feet and change in length. 113.5" wide... still trying to figure out bed length.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I flat towed a deuce from Arkansas to AL with a deuce.....most of it Interstate and four lane state roads.

You are going to be a toad in the road and having Peterbuilts blowing by you at 80 MPH is unnerving.... I still remember our SS brother that got killed when he was rear ended by a commerical rig.

One option would be to have some one with a big tractor (like a M915) with a 5th wheel crane pick it up from the rear. My buddy has one and it is how I do all my vehicle recoveries now....I farm the hauling (and liability) out to him.

mudguppy

like Ron said, weight transfer is the ticket. with weight transfer comes traction and stability.

a tractor may weigh 20k lbs, the trailer likely ~15k lbs. then that leaves ~45k lbs for payload. however, depending on the load placement, the tractor rears can easily receive 50% of that applied payload (and the front also receives a portion of that payload).

similarly, tongue weight from the trailer applies load onto the rear of the F150 example. plus, at the 11,200 lb trailer, you need a weight distributing hitch which transfers even more onto both front and rear axles of the truck.

lift-towing w/ a wrecker performs a similar function.

tow-bars transfer zero weight, and therfore zero traction or stability. the real problem comes in when the weight of the front end of the towed vehicle is higher than the weight of the rears of the towing vehicle, as in the case of almost any deuce-deuce, 5T-5T, deuce-5T (aua) towing example, with the exception being a 5T wrecker or other lift-tow device.

Last edited:
Just wanted to put some comments and closure to this thread.

The new owner made the journey last month and drove the truck to its new home.
[thumbzup]:driver:

Stats from the trip:
303 Miles
Elapsed Driving Time: 7.5 hours
Top speed: 50mph
Avg. speed: “40 something”
MPG: “a bit above 4 mpg”

The truck reportedly ran "strong" with only one issue. At about thirty miles from destination, the brakes began dragging. The truck was stopped with an apparent "sticking" air/hydraulic booster (air-pak). Pressure was released through the service glad hand. Truck finished the trip without further incident.

There was a large quantity of spare parts included with the sale of the truck. One of which was a air/hydraulic booster rebuild kit.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the truck was not modified in any of the ways suggested earlier. Stock Drivetrain ( except for: 1) oil-bath style air filter removed and replaced with a Multi-fuel paper element type. 2) Air dump valve added to transfer case to place sprag in neutral)

Last edited:

emr

The danger factor with the deuce far out ways the fuel cost and fun of driving the 5 ton, as opposed to the fear of the 5 ton behind the deuce pushing U around :) Ive done it a few times, can be done, would not recommend it. drive it take your time and enjoy the truck, Oh ,............. oh well Guess I had good advise :)

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

all you guys can do this and that, BUT remember ,if anything can go wrong it will go wrong and it will cost you THOUSANDS of dollars for a wrecker and legal fees. my buddie had wreck out on the interstate (tho not a bad one) and the bill was over $8,000, just for the two wreckers. the cops told him you're lucky you didn't hit anyone or there would be a few tickets as well. you guys want to risk killing someone, go for it. but you have been warned.

Varyag

Looks like he made it home fine as JWC said. I couldn't even imagine how slow a trip that would have been pulling a 5 ton with a deuce. I hauled about a ton of crap (literally) to the dump in my 105 this weekend with the deuce and it was not fun. I couldn't imagine 20k + instead of 5k on any hill.

Safety aside

sandcobra164

use air lines between the Deuce Prime Mover and the Disable 5 ton, turned up, the Deuce can get it to about 50 on the flats. For the turns, keep it slow but I'd rather tow a 5 ton behind a Deuce than a Deuce behind a Deuce because the 5 ton will turn with you. A Deuce will turn the other way if you don't tie off the steering wheel.

emr

I may disagree, I have a few thou miles with a deuce behind a deuce and it has always tracked and road just nice, I have towed a 5 ton behind a deuce a few times also also, even with air, I think i was fine, but it is A LOT safer with the same weight or lower behind a tow bar, I would never ty a steering wheel off, just sayin, I know some guys are sayin it, but I just never would and never had to. I never felt a difference of tire steer between the 2,

sandcobra164

I've personally had Deuces without the steering wheel tied off go to full left or right lock in slower speed turns. Even with the prime mover being an M936A2, the Deuce will create quite a headache on a flat tow without the steering will tied off when it goes full left or right on you which I've had happen enough times (twice) that I don't even think twice, I tie it off[thumbzup]

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: 5 ton drag race!

Hey Jeff.
I just came across this video again of you "getting your move on"!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bfWBqLRUxY[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks