• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving day is Nigh upon us!

hwcurtice

Okay, I know this is really about getting military equipment from Point A to Point B, but still, me, my daughter, 2 little dogs, and a trunk full of stuff will be headed to South Carolina from Washington State the first week of August. Granted, my Ford Fusion is about as military as your weed-wacker, but anyone along the path that would like to chip in road conditions and such (what to avoid, what to see, where to eat, where not to eat) that would be great. First part of the trip is about all I-90, with the exception of seeing Yellowstone. Then Mt. Rushmore and Sturgis. After that, I have a stop in Indiana and Ohio. Then on to Summerville, SC where we will be putting our camp up for the foreseeable future. So, no, not much room to help someone get something there, unless its a small tool or the like, but any help from this great group is greatly appreciated.

minigunmike

If your stopping in northwest Ohio there is a little town called holiday city. Couple hotels and a motel. Little greasey spoon called 4 seasons. Be a lot easier to get a room there vs Toledo or something

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too Far south, but the National Corvette Museum is pretty cool. Louisville has the Louisville slugger plant right downtown, great gift shop and such if you're into baseball. If you're into motorcycles, you can hit milwaukee for the Harley Davidson museum and plant... but watch out for Chicago.

National Park wise, is Yellowstone on your route? If it's close, it's worth at least half a day. Badlands are cool as you can drive through and get a good chunk and just stop for the occasional picture. Make sure you pickup a National Parks Passport at your first park, there are stamps you can collect at every National Park, Forest, Reserve and even state parks. I think Redstone MN is a nice historical site too. depending on how you go, you can also catch one of the lock and dam facilities along the Mississippi.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only thing I can recommend is avoiding I-40 west of Memphis to Little Rock. Coming in from the northern states, I-75 in Cincy will get you to Knoxville, where you can pick up I-40 to Asheville, and then I-26 all the way to Charleston.

dmetalmiki

Good luck with your trip to new pastures, Enjoy the scenery and the experience. Moving "all" to a new place is exiting and rewarding.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thankful you made it to SC safely. I don't know your total situation, so I'm making a few assumptions. You could fly back to WA, rent a Ryder/UHAUL box truck, rent a tow dolly, load the box truck up with your stuff, and haul it all to SC. Have your wife ride with you (provided someone can take care of your daughter and dogs for a few days).

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there are a number of members here who, for a fee, will drive MV's on long trips versus much higher cost shipping. If the car can make it, I bet similar could be arranged for a non-MV drive.

hwcurtice

Well, other than the items my wife needed to keep with her while she waits for a job to open up here, everything is or will be here soon. Everything she has can either be shipped or hauled in her car. Most will be shipped. Yeah, she filled up the entire car with what she needed to stay. Looked like a person that lives in there car...

The real issue is that she gets lost easy, and even with a GPS, it's no help. My real thought is to have her ship all her stuff, have a carry-on, fly down here and after a couple days, I fly back to get the car and make the drive again. Only it won't take 8 days...

Option B is to have the car shipped and she flies down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks