• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving M-39 Series 5 tons to the Korean/Vietnam War section

Would you like to see the M-39 Series truck have its own section?

• Yes it would be helpful!!

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • I dont care.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I want to stay with the 900 series.

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtdeucedriver

Due to the difficulty of finding information and helping others with this series of trucks, I have attempted to try and persuede the "Powers to be" to separate this group from the Post Vietnam Section.

It needs to be understood that these trucks were built with 50's technology and went through Military service with changes in powerplants. Powerplants that were of this time frame and share some of the same parts as other types in service.

With the release of the 900 series, it has become very difficult and time consuming to navigate through countless pages of posts. I have been told to "Just use the search feature" as a answer to this problem. Well this is not EBAY and I dont have time to post random search words so I can Find or cannot find someones post that could actually use some help.

So I am asking all of you for your thoughts in what you think would be right. Would you like to see the M-39 series truck have its own section???

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One real problem is, sorting/moving all the old threads into a new forum.

Nobody said we would not do this.

Nothing happens fast around here.

vtdeucedriver

One real problem is, sorting/moving all the old threads into a new forum.

Nobody said we would not do this.

Nothing happens fast around here.
Well from my understanding was that it was not going to happen. Its now even got to the point that the other thread that CMS Davis started is now LOCKED??? I really dont understand the point in that? As far as getting old posts moved? I really dont care if they got moved at all, we can start over! We just need a place to hang our Continental and Mack hats to where they dont get lost.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are not going to forget about our last 7 years of threads.

What other thread? If it was locked,was this topic "killed" there?

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
What about the 800s, they share about 95% of the parts, you are talking about the the 39s, think you need to readjust some thinking, maybe give the 900 5t there own thread, then if that is done, what happens to the 915, 916, 917, 919, and the 920. or OTHER HEAVY trucks, so with the above said, It would be pointless for the 39s to have there own form.

Also the poll needs to be changed as far as choices go, it is one thing for the 39s to be in with the 900 5ts, it is another thing for the 39s be in with the 800s

Last edited:

pad_cdr

The poll says do we want M39 series 5 tons to have its own section -- I agree with that. The thread title says should we move M39 series to the Korea/Vietnam section -- I am not sure I agree with that - either way, can you please clarify the question you are asking?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 800 5ts and the 900 5ts are two different trucks, almost all the main parts are different, it would make more sense to combine the 39s and the 809s 5ts, they share about 95% of the same parts

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the 900's? 939 a1 and 2's? They are different motors.

915's. different motors.

So, should we seperate all 5 tons, by motor?

Who is going to go though all the old threads and break them down for this?

jatonka

There several different 2 1/2 ton trucks, CCKW, M135/211, and the Reo M35 series. They all have their own sections here.
So, why can't M39 series, M809 series and M 939 series all have their own sections staarting now? The 915 and 916 and 920 are not 5 ton trucks, put them ain another section. It seems simple enough to me. Whenever the site people decide to upgrade and change format and things like that it is an unbelievable pain in the ass that makes many members complain and quit over. This modification of some sections of the site doesn't seem that radical to me and I've been here a long time through a lot of changes that really weren't as sensible as this request from Vt Deuce Driver. This is my opinion , not paid for by any political party or special interest group......... well maybe the M39 series 5 Ton guys. JT

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 39s and the 809s ARE the same truck just with different motors, just like the m35, the m35a1 and the m35a2 ARE the same truck just with different motors. The reo m35 (2 1/2 ton deuce) has only ONE forum, NOT THREE. If there is going to be a seperate 5t forum, the 39s AND the 809s should be in the SAME forum.

vtdeucedriver

What about the 800s, they share about 95% of the parts, you are talking about the the 39s, think you need to readjust some thinking, maybe give the 900 5t there own thread, then if that is done, what happens to the 915, 916, 917, 919, and the 920. or OTHER HEAVY trucks, so with the above said, It would be pointless for the 39s to have there own form.

Also the poll needs to be changed as far as choices go, it is one thing for the 39s to be in with the 900 5ts, it is another thing for the 39s be in with the 800s
Well I could have clarified this a bit more as I totally agree that the 800 series should be attached as these are Vietnam era trucks. The 800 series was the answer to all of the problems that we were facing on the roads of Vietnam. In its design, you can see DIRECT imput on the changes that were implimented such as reinforced front fenders and more powerful engines.
I was only using this as a point that these trucks need to be separate from the ever growing ownership of the 900 series trucks.

Last edited:

jatonka

I think the differences are much more than you say Ron, but I don't need to make a big deal of it, what ever works for the site is good by me, as always. I just think that different fenders, different hood, different radiator, different brush guard, different power steering, different wiring harness, different engine, different cold start system, different front driveshaft, different winch driveshaft, basically make it a different truck. I think the miltary thought so too, They didn't call them an M39A3.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I believe this was already answered in the last thread. I'm not going to further splinter the forum even more.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, there's a tremendous amount of work involved in going thread by thread and moving them to another forum. We did splinter off the deuce forum and such into hot rod forums. But only a small percentage of thread actually got sorted/moved. Honestly what you're asking for would be a full time job for a great deal of time to create.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, there's a tremendous amount of work involved in going thread by thread and moving them to another forum. We did splinter off the deuce forum and such into hot rod forums. But only a small percentage of thread actually got sorted/moved. Honestly what you're asking for would be a full time job for a great deal of time to create.
Rather than have the site administrator/moderators locate the affected threads for the new forum, let the interested SS members that find/locate these threads/posts report them to the site to be moved. Would that help?

DSC02460.jpgM55A2 rs.jpgM52a.jpgM51A2  .jpg11-10-2012 013.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I believe this was already answered in the last thread. I'm not going to further splinter the forum even more.
Perhaps I haven't been direct enough with this. So I'll quote it again and bold the answer. I thought closing the other thread would have been enough.

Let me also expand on this. We previously had a insurrection over the M35A3 deserving it's own forum. That did not happen. However, what did happen is that we lost some members due to their actions. (I will say that you've been peaceful in the matter though on this discussion)

I typically have bent over backwards to cater to the members for requests. However our main forum page is simply far too splintered to allow further splintering.

I hope this has answered everyones question on this topic.

Amer-team

Thank you for the answer on further splintering the forum. While not reasonable now, Technology being what it is, it may become possible at a future date to accomplish this request. After a quick look at the first 4 pages of the current 5 T forum, at least 80 percent of the threads pertain to the 900 series vehicles. It may be reasonable at some point to consider a 900 series forum. With the search function, would it be necessary to move all pre-existing threads to a new list? Wouldn't they be picked up in a search?

Please do not consider this to be criticism in any way. The administrators of this site are doing a great service for the MV hobby. It allows us to meet folks with similar interests and if someone needs help or has a problem with their rig, they can usually get an answer to their problem within a very short time. People on here, fill in the details that you cannot read from the manual. Thank you.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure where you came up with this 80% of threads. That is an incorrect statement.

Let me say it once more. I will not be further splintering the forums. There is also no magic search to pull all the threads out without manually going one by one.

This isn't up for debate. Since it seems that people think it is, I will be closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks