• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving my M3 halftrack in the snow

Edelbroke

Thanks Kevin. I've been jumping back and forth between the two sites.

I ran across a post over there about where the correct place was to mount the Fire extinguisher, and remembered seeing one between the seats in mine (loose) I had no idea it was original to the truck.

Attachments

battlecr

Hey Don, I have noticed the variant on your frame before, that is one weird / mutant set up. Could be different for the GMC, I never had a chance to check one out. Any chance the brace could be off an International?
Karl, according to someone that saw a GMC in Littlefields bone yard the idler arms are the same. We had quite the disscusion over on the halftrak info site. It's pretty clear that Diamond T's did this in early production. One of those weird little things.

Don G.

battlecr

Edlebroke, I think I suggested that you invest in a set of manuals. They do make them on CD I imagine they are on the web someplace too. I would also recomend you get Hunnicut's book on the history of the US halftrack. It really goes into the developement of the half track and all it's variats. Having that knowledge really help you figure out a direction of your halftrack.

Don G.

Edelbroke

Hard to say what that bumper is from. The frame was cut just forward of the leaf spring mount. I belive this is a winch model truck because of the pto. The middle lower radiator armor plate has a slight bend in it on the bottom like it was done on a brake but all the bolts have the slots pointed up like it has never been off the truck. If it was taken off at some point I can't see someone taking the time to do that. The way it's set up now will work for however long I own it.

Attachments

battlecr

That front armor piece is original on the roller model there would be 3 straps that go to the cross member. My ht was a roller but the previous owner cut off the roller and put on a winch. I had to weld the hole back up. If you look at my thread "My M3" there are some good shots of the frame. and some of the attaching parts.

If you get a chance to go through the threads here, and on the track section of the G503, also check out the halftrackinfo website. Lot's of good technical info there.

Don G.

Edelbroke

Thanks Don,

I've read all the posts on here, G503 and halftrack info well before I bought mine. You're right there's alot of good info. And actually having one here is a learning experience every day.
Would you happen to have a picture similiar to the angle I shot of mine but of a roller model with the braces attatched? What I want to see is that the roller model armor does have the angle bend in the bottom half. I've seen the winch model armor plate is flat.

Edelbroke

Also if anyone on this site could tell me anymore about my serial and ord numbers I would appreciate it.

They are:
The dash plate reads:

White Motor Co.
Manufactures serial no: 274803
ORD Serial no: 9197

The engine serial no: 160AX-3374

Stamped on the rubber tracks:
N-1602-6-57
ORD ASSY NO: G5600400

This post was left on the G503 site:

"I'm pretty certain Ord S/N 9197 would have been accepted as an M2 in Dec. 1942, & assigned USA 4024130.

The 1st AD in Italy list a bunch of M2s from this Production Order. Looks like they got them in mid 1944, so they may have been rebuilds. Most are correctly listed as M2s, but a few are described as M3s. I just figured the clerks who kept the records didn't know the difference, but maybe they were also mis-ID'd on the dataplate?"
Joe DeMarco

Can anyone tell me anymore info on this? Thanks, Chris

Last edited:

battlecr

I took some shots of some cut frame pieces I have, I'll try to post them soon. Just an FYI the tracks all use the same plate in the front roller or winch. It's actually amazing how much of the track armor was used between the M2 and M3. Due to production they didn't try to make a whole lot of special parts.

Don G.