• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving my Transmission cooler

B-Dog

That is a good point. I am surprised that the sample port was not taken from the front cooler.

Right now I am only having luck finding -20 hoses with 2406-16-20 reducers on both ends. Seams like a lot to mess with.
So, where is the sample port sourcing from? I wonder if your main hose (#20 below) was put on backwards such that the port was back by the aux cooler, I think the sample port hose would be long enough.

I wonder if you'd have a much easier time just getting some adapters to go with a regular hose and skip all the oversize hose with undersize fittings. 1" Male to 1 1/4" Female adapters on the trans and the aux trans cooler then just buy a 1 1/4" hose with 1 1/4" fittings.

5-ton the same as 2.5? I know some of the 5-tons had the aux cooler but what I'm ignorant of is if they also included the forward cooler. I'm wondering if I really need both coolers (the aux I'm adding is a MONSTER twice the size of what they put on the 5-tons.

I'm somewhat surprised to hear that there is a run from aft to the sample, as well. I would have thought it picked up from any old place along the line (ie: closer to the front cooler...unless the front was not used on trucks with the aux cooler).

I've zero hands-on with a 5-ton and never really looked at the trans cooling system on one.
Here's the sample port and the front cooler from the 6x6 TM

1627072615268.png

Interestingly enough, it shows the source in a different location, in the middle of the hose, a few pages later. Awesomeness was saying that there were hard lines at one time
*shrug

1627072718263.png

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, where is the sample port sourcing from? I wonder if your main hose (#20 below) was put on backwards such that the port was back by the aux cooler, I think the sample port hose would be long enough.

I wonder if you'd have a much easier time just getting some adapters to go with a regular hose and skip all the oversize hose with undersize fittings. 1" Male to 1 1/4" Female adapters on the trans and the aux trans cooler then just buy a 1 1/4" hose with 1 1/4" fittings.

View attachment 840397

Interestingly enough, it shows the source in a different location, in the middle of the hose, a few pages later. Awesomeness was saying that there were hard lines at one time
*shrug

View attachment 840398
'
What if you put a pair of steel lines that ran to the back of the truck - and had them JIC flared - then secured to the frame... A rubber hose on each end to minimize vibration (like the M1089 wrecker). Stainless steel tubing would help dissipate a lot more heat than rubber...

Third From Texas

View attachment 840397

*shrug

View attachment 840398
I'd relocate the sample port before shelling out several hundred bucks on a longer hose. I'm a rebel like that (ok, I'm poor but still).

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into if it will be wise to delete the front cooler. I can't think of any reason not to especially given that it's bathed in 200+ degree coolant to "cool" it (I suspect a 3" core with dual fans will be a crapload cooler.

LOL

Seriously though, if I can I'll delete the front and see what I can salvage for use off of it (again, cheap bastage here).

:)

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd relocate the sample port before shelling out several hundred bucks on a longer hose. I'm a rebel like that (ok, I'm poor but still).

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into if it will be wise to delete the front cooler. I can't think of any reason not to especially given that it's bathed in 200+ degree coolant to "cool" it (I suspect a 3" core with dual fans will be a crapload cooler.

LOL

Seriously though, if I can I'll delete the front and see what I can salvage for use off of it (again, cheap bastage here).

:)
That’s a great plan especially where you are. Eliminates the chance of glycol migration through a failed cooler (which I understand is a death sentence for the trans).

Third From Texas

That’s a great plan especially where you are. Eliminates the chance of glycol migration through a failed cooler (which I understand is a death sentence for the trans).
Oh, don't get me started on water in a trans. He's my parts truck (that I was planning on fixing up). Oddly, this was NOT from radiator cross contamination. Best I can figure is they forded it with the plug out.

/shrug

20210204_124945.jpg

ramdough

Well, finally got my hose in.
View attachment 843401
The hose is extra large. I had to reduce the fittings at the ends to match the truck. This will create some resistance, but the hose being larger should reduce the resistance from the added length of hose.

Either way, it should work.

View attachment 843402
For what it’s worth, color was not an option…. That was all they had….. but I think it will look nice until it gets covered in dirt and/or oil.

Third From Texas

For what it’s worth, color was not an option…. That was all they had….. but I think it will look nice until it gets covered in dirt and/or oil.
Meh, you could have gotten the proper color surplus lines if you had just been willing to part with 3x the money. Of course it would be rubber from the 90's. but at least it would be REAL lmtv military hose which as everyone knows rots far superior to fresh civilian hose.

I won't say to which points of the compass you should have looked.

;p

Last edited:

Third From Texas

I'm dreading the install of mine. It's three foot long with the outlets on the end. The frame section above the exhaust where I'm thinking I will place it is only like 40". The shelter is going to have to come off (which I thought I might get away w/o doing) if it's going to be done right.

ramdough

Ok, got my lines routed. Gonna fire up the truck this weekend. I have not added any transmission oil back yet, but I was a bit high right before the lines were drained.

Any guesses on how much to add back? I am thinking of starting it up for a minute to fill the lines and cooler, then checking the cold line. If low, add some. Then warm it up fully and check the hot line.

Any advice? My hoses are about 14’ long now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronmar

The new ones are 1 1/4” ID X 14’ right? 14’ of 1-1/4” line will have an internal volume of 206 cu/in or about .89 gallons...

ramdough

I did not drain the transmission. I only drained the rear hoses and the cooler.

My current plan is to check the oil level. Start the truck for about 5 seconds. Check the level…. Add some oil until correct.

Repeat until cold level is stable and correct. Then warm up the transmission, check the hot level line.

Ronmar

Well the cooler is empty also right? you could probably add a gallon straight away as I am sure it will take well over that amount when all is said and done…

coachgeo

Well the cooler is empty also right? you could probably add a gallon straight away as I am sure it will take well over that amount when all is said and done…
ohhhhhh.. good point.... my capacity data was for LMTV not MTV so that throws my attempt to help completely out the window and onto my face. crawling back into my corner now

ramdough

Good point. I doubt I am a gallon over full. I was a bit high last I checked.

ramdough

Well, I checked the oil before leaving and it was way high, so a idled it until it dropped a little.

I drove for about 30 minutes, lots of flat roads with a few steep hills. The hoses got nice and warm to the touch, so I know oil was flowing through them.

Only leak was from the oil sample port that I plugged…. But forgot to make sure was right. Now everything is tight.

I checked the oil again and I am about 3/4” to 1” above the full when hot line. I must have had too much in there. I had several oil leaks that I fixed and a few must have self healed. My only explanation is that while I was working through all of the leaks, I was always adding a little and must have goofed up some how.

Anyone know how much oil 3/4-1” on the tranny dip stick is?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks