• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving nonrunners?

Junior0415

I just got my dream or nightmare (yet to be determined) mk23 non runner and wondering what needs to be done to move one of these around? I'm assuming caging the rear brakes and disconnect the front and rear drive shafts at the transfer case but not sure what else? The tires are inflated and holding air. I'm looking to get it to roll without using a wrecker. Instead using a tow bar and large tractor. Do they roll easy? Am I better off getting a wrecker to move it? Any help or insight to what others have done or would recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just got my dream or nightmare (yet to be determined) mk23 non runner and wondering what needs to be done to move one of these around? I'm assuming caging the rear brakes and disconnect the front and rear drive shafts at the transfer case but not sure what else? The tires are inflated and holding air. I'm looking to get it to roll without using a wrecker. Instead using a tow bar and large tractor. Do they roll easy? Am I better off getting a wrecker to move it? Any help or insight to what others have done or would recommend would be greatly appreciated.
Consider that the raw weight is about 30,000 pounds. Maybe a little less without doors and a roof, but still pretty heavy. Are you planning to move it to where you are - or do you mean moving it around your property once it arrives on a flatbed?

Junior0415

Consider that the raw weight is about 30,000 pounds. Maybe a little less without doors and a roof, but still pretty heavy. Are you planning to move it to where you are - or do you mean moving it around your property once it arrives on a flatbed?
Sorry should have been more clear. It's getting shipped on a rgn. My question is about getting it off the trailer and moving it around my property.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sorry should have been more clear. It's getting shipped on a rgn. My question is about getting it off the trailer and moving it around my property.
She will roll easy. I have a small hill and I park at the top of that hill. All it takes is releasing the brakes and it will roll to the bottom. A tow bar is a nice way to jockey it around. A chain and a pipe will work too - with a clevis on each end - so it can't accidentally get away from you. The RGN driver should be able to manage unloading figuring they got it on there.

Junior0415

She will roll easy. I have a small hill and I park at the top of that hill. All it takes is releasing the brakes and it will roll to the bottom. A tow bar is a nice way to jockey it around. A chain and a pipe will work too - with a clevis on each end - so it can't accidentally get away from you. The RGN driver should be able to manage unloading figuring they got it on there.
Are you saying I shouldn't have to disconnect the drive shafts and everything with no power is essentially in neutral? Sorry I've done a lot of research and trying to make this go as smoothly as possible not knowing every detail of the truck. It's getting picked up in yermo and the manager of the yard I spoke to said they'll just push it on the trailer with a wheel Loader so I assume the driver won't be doing anything other then securing it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you saying I shouldn't have to disconnect the drive shafts and everything with no power is essentially in neutral? Sorry I've done a lot of research and trying to make this go as smoothly as possible not knowing every detail of the truck. It's getting picked up in yermo and the manager of the yard I spoke to said they'll just push it on the trailer with a wheel Loader so I assume the driver won't be doing anything other then securing it.
Truck off, I release the brakes, it rolls. I can't swear to any more than that.
Disconnecting the drive shafts should mean less mass to move, when you try to move it - but by default the "truck is in neutral".

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply. Any info is helpful. That's my biggest concern also. I decided to be safe and just got a wrecker lined up to unload it. It's happening today so should be fun.
This is by far the safest option. You don't want to be learning how to move it while other people are in a hurry to depart.

Once it's off and where you want it, then you can figure it all out at your leisure.

I use a 1ton truck and a military towbar to move 5ton 939series trucks and similar around my property (low speed in low 4 and off road).

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@GTUnit , that PDF is about as complete a reference as I have ever seen for Tow Bars. It has part numbers for feet and pins and all the little missing parts that seem to disappear when buying an old tow bar from somebody. The instructions are there on how and why too. The REAL information that people need in a handy way to present it. Yes, the TM is good but I think this is better.

JUST BECAUSE things tend to disappear when they aren't on our site, I downloaded it and have it attached below.

Also because @swiss asked for pictures, I included a few below :cool:

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks