• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving oil via convection

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Years ago I remember seeing an idea for heating a swimming pool by using convection.

The idea was to take a coil of black plastic pipe and put it into a black 4x8 plywood box covered with glass.....the water would be heated and move by convection from the pool to the heater and back to the pool.

Does anyone think that this idea could be used to heat oil prior to filtering.

The main issue I see is the sluggishness of the cool oil.

Comments, suggestions, constructive ideas.

See diagram.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is very similar to the one I remember.....the main difference was that the one I saw had glass over the tubes to make more heat......of course the problem could be that the plastic pipe I have might not stand up to much heat......hummmmmm.

wikallen

a buddy of mine heats his pool that way. He got a discounted big glass front door mounted in a box. He runs black hose around inside the door and mounted the entire thing on the roof of his house. He then pumps water from the pool and back.

I am not sure how hot the returning water is, but his pool is comfortable on the cooler days.

mikey

That is very similar to the one I remember.....the main difference was that the one I saw had glass over the tubes to make more heat......of course the problem could be that the plastic pipe I have might not stand up to much heat......hummmmmm.
this one had glass too... there was a text comment in the video stating that he took the glass off to film it...

i think you are right about the wmo being too viscous for this to work directly... however, using this idea with water you can probably make a very nice drum heater or immersion heater which will allow gravity to better filter the wmo...

its an interesting concept...

I once worked for a guy that heated his pool by pumping the water to the ridge of the roof. a pipe ran the length of the roof with holes drilled every few inches. the water would run down the black singles and into the rain gutter then back into the pool. he bragged that it heated the pool and cooled his game room at the same time. But I don't think my wife would like a bunch of used oil running down our roof .

paulfarber

You could not get a significant temp differential to actually move the oil via this method. You would still need to pump it to the heat coil. I could see this working to reduce viscosity, but not to actually move oil.

Last edited:

bill2444

I think if the oil got warm enough it would move. When i heat in a 55 gallon drum it is incredible the amount of upwelling comming from the bottom. I dont think you could get that much movement with a pump.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the 55 gallon drum. With the heater in the bottom, there is a lot of oil movement.

Mikey90744

week later or so, sorry

convection or thermocline what ever this is called, is what cooled ford model Ts from the factory

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks