• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MP Push Bumper & bolt together Brush Guard Kit.

What to R&D

• Idea #1 : Pin on MP push bumper for the CUCV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Idea #2 : Bolt together reproduction of the factory CUCV brush guard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr.Jay

Happy New Year everyone.

It has been almost 2 years since I decided to open my own shop and specialize in the repair and restoration of former military vehicles. I wish to thank all of my customers for the support. Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated!

As part of an expansion and investment in my business. I am contemplating on beginning to R&D some items for the CUCV market.

Idea #1
CUCV Military Police push bumper as pictured.

Idea # 2
A reproduction CUCV brush guard that can be bolted together (you could weld it if you like) ?

The factory brush guard gets tagged with over size shipping charges and costs almost $250 to ship at a commercial discount to, and from a business. My goal is to build a kit that would be in the $250-$350 range shipped to the lower 48 states.

I would appreciate some input. Yes or no to the above ideas.

Attachments

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

IF it looks very close to the original, I can see a bolt-up being desirable.

How strong is that push bumper? Is is for show or can you really push with it? Does it modify the original?

Dr.Jay

IF it looks very close to the original, I can see a bolt-up being desirable.

How strong is that push bumper? Is is for show or can you really push with it? Does it modify the original?

The push bumper pins into the tow points, and uses two of the bumper mounting bolts. It is made of 3/8" plate steel for the uprights, 3/16 steel strap for the upright face, and 1.5"x 1/8 wall tube. You can defiantly push with them.

I have only seen the MP push bumper on 3 of the M1009 vehicles. All of the vehicles equipped with them were part of the security vehicles on Camp Mabry.

Last edited:

ssdvc

How about a bolt up CUCV bumper (upper guard AND the bumper itself), but with two big differences. First, incorporate a way to properly mount a semi-hidden winch. Second, reinforce the entire bumper, make it really strong and heavy duty.

Also, I have seen a few CUCV trucks with two steel "U" shaped pusher sections mounted to the stock bumper. The pusher sections flex during initial contact and then offer a little cushion for both vehicles during the operation. They looked about 30" long, top to bottom. I will try and find a pic of what I am talking about.

Keith_J

The push bars were fabricated in state or probably penal system shop. They had a few suspect welds, lots of bubbles.

The white paint jobs were single layer, after the CARC was blasted with plastic grit. I've restored one, inside and out. I'm pretty sure I know the provenance of your's.

MarcusOReallyus

Also, I have seen a few CUCV trucks with two steel "U" shaped pusher sections mounted to the stock bumper. The pusher sections flex during initial contact and then offer a little cushion for both vehicles during the operation. They looked about 30" long, top to bottom. I will try and find a pic of what I am talking about.
I've seen something like that on cop cars. It's heavy rubber.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a guy building Rock Sliders on the site for CUCV years ago. These did not really go anywhere but there was alot of interest in Rock Sliders and or Step up bars. I would vote for M1009 step up bars.

ssdvc

I think that was Shankemdeep. I purchase his "over the door" interior hand grabs. They were well built and I was pleased. Yup, the steps would be nice too.

Wish there was someone near me that did that sort of thing. Shipping on some of these items is expensive, so the closer the better. Heck, I'd settle for someone who knows these trucks like CUCVRUS does close to me.

Dr.Jay

Hey Jason, any update to this thread?
I received zero response to the poll I posted with this thread. Some members have replied to the thread with their own ideas, but that is not the input I asked for.
At This time I have decided to postpone further R&D on bolt together brush-guard kits, and MP push bumpers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks