• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mrap m35a

mrapthomas

Just Thinking of a new project that I will never finish. Wanted to present it to this fine forum. Pondering the idea of a MRAP M35A.....along the lines of the South African Casspir and the new Buffalo. I would love to hear what people think. Included are three rough (...and I do mean rough) drawings. One drawing is where the windshield is stock height, one where the windshield is raked back, and one where the windshield has been chopped. Body would be steel with rib reinforcements especially where the spares are kept. Inside would be insulated/sound proofed. I would love to include a turret towards the front but also like to include a soft top into the portion of the roof (camel bak type material). The chassis would be a bobbed (or not) M35 with 47 inch or bigger tires. Would like to include AC and heat as that tin can might get a little toasty/chilly
So that's it for now. I have seen some camper conversions but this would have more angles and smaller windows. I would love to hear some feed back about this project. Thanks for your time!

Thomas

Attachments

Scarecrow1

It looks like a winner to me ,somethings to consider are the placement of the spare tire. Getting it on and off the side of the truck would be a act of at least two or three strong backs .The fuel tank or tanks would have to be pancaked to be out of site like that . and a tool rack is a must for such a brut .Also don't forget the winch too lol, and while your at it the classic jerry can has to have a place of honor ......Hey you ask :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

red

on deployments people in my career field ride in the JERRV, one of the variants of the MRAP family. ac would be considered mandatory unless you make the windows able to roll down

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This sounds like a job for Super Soni. Or Super Jones. Insert your favorite custom military truck builder here.

This project could easily get out of hand remember, in order to be like an MRAP, you need armor. LOTS of armor, which is heavy and expensive. You need to add vision blocks everywhere. And an angled-bottom design to add mine resistant protection. Armor not just for the crew and driver, but the engine, radiator, etc. Lots of new radios and weapons mounts. Not to mention the weapons.

Might just be easier to build a real MRAP. :twisted:

KsM715

Thats some old school photoshop right there.

Ive thought about that everytime I see an MRAP on tv then look out in the driveway at the 818

Wintermute

The concept looks good, but I'd add in the bevelled plating on the underside of the vehicle. It just doesn't look like an MRAP to me without having the V shaped hull to deflect a blast. Building in the V shaped hull could provide some noticable logistical issues in the design, but if you can work them out it would be nice. I would also recommend following more of the angular plating design seen on most of the production and prototype MRAP's as it's pretty distinctive to the vehicle. If you're looking for some 1 1/4" bullet resistant lexan for the windows and such, I know of an architectural salvage place here in WA that has some large sheets available (it ain't cheap though).

I would love to see some progression of the design as you work it out :)

--Wintermute

mrapthomas

Man...this is so cool! I tried to draw in some v-shape inspired angles keeping in mind the simplest build that I could perform within my skill set. Understand that this would not be a true MRAP but a MRAP inspired expedition vehicle. Believe me....if i could build a true MRAP I would be all over that. I was thinking instead of standard sheet metal reinforced in critical areas. Gas tanks i can work out..as well as re-routing the exhaust. Raking the windshield might prove to be difficult and chopping it might be the best alternative. Old school photoshop I wish.....this is 'ol school number 2 pencil and paper. Keep the advice coming...I really appreciate all the input! I will keep revising my drawings and keep all of you all included. Thanks everyone!

mrapthomas

GoHot229..I remember seeing that one and think its bad ass. That's a 5 ton yes? I did want to try and incorporate more angles top and bottom. I think the MRAP Buffalo weighs something like 26 tons! I'd like to be just a shade under that :p! I think from what I've seen in this forum there are a lot of key elements readily available. Of course the hardest part is getting the body to look right. Someone else mentioned they were thinking about something like this....can you elaborate on your ideas? Thanks everyone!

Preacherboy

You'd have to put a major lift on the body to build one of those v bottoms. My buddy works on those MRAP's and said we could bob a deuce and build our own version. If you really want to build something like an MRAP, with all that armor weight you would definately need to start off with a 5 ton instead of a deuce. Personally, I'd like to bob a deuce and get 1/2" AR 500 to wrap around the cab and get some of that lexan glass to do the windows with. The glass should be relatively simple since I've heard the deuces all have straight pieces of glass.