• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP Mirrors on M923A2

grendel

One of the trucks I acquired has a broken mirror support. Common problem, I know. Parts are easy but as I looked around, I found a set of MRAP mirrors and arms, cheap. Anyone put them on their M923A2?

I already have them, so I may just go for it. I can weld the old holes in the doors from the old style mirrors before I paint the puppy. Of course, the MRAP mirrors I got are sand, but not hard to change the color when I paint the entire thing.

For the mods, I did a search, but did not come up with this specific use case or question. MRAP Mirrors on M923 came up with a bunch of wish lists, not actual data.

Last edited:

grendel

The mrap mirrors fit in the existing mirror arms on the m939 truck. Just remove the old mirror and bolt in the mrap mirror.
On my truck, it's the mirror arms that are rusty/broken. Seems like a waste to not use a more modern mounting system.

The MRAP mirror arms will not work without cutting, wielding and fab work.
Well, I can wield a welder, plasma and grinder, so not worried there.

:)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
On my truck, it's the mirror arms that are rusty/broken. Seems like a waste to not use a more modern mounting system.

Well, I can wield a welder, plasma and grinder, so not worried there.

:)
They are designed to bolt to a frame above and below the door window. Our trucks don't have a frame around the window. I would love to see how you modify them, please post pics so we can duplicate what you do. I think its more trouble than its worth, imho.

grendel

They are designed to bolt to a frame above and below the door window. Our trucks don't have a frame around the window. I would love to see how you modify them, please post pics so we can duplicate what you do. I think its more trouble than its worth, imho.

Will do.

I've been playing in autodesk and I think they will fit well on the windshield frame (different base bracket) and have enough swing to get a great rearward view but not get in the way of the door when open. 11046415_10204502774824147_71611349858622365_n.jpg18499_10204502774864148_7788286086175785563_n.jpg

I can easily make new brackets that are narrow enough for the windshield frame. Writing the code for the water jet now.

I do not care about flipping the windshield forward, but may anchor the bottom bracket to the windshield hinge.

Last edited:

grendel

It looks like I could use the outer U-shaped arm from the M923 tri-pod with the MRAP anti-vibration mirror and knock away springs to mount to the windshield frame and have it still flip forward. The bracket I am drawing up will plate the entire side of the frame, tying the top and bottom mounts together.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks for the pics, its much easier to see what your planning now. If you were to cut the tube in the center, you could make the assembly the same height as the window frame to ease installation. You would then just need to find a sleeve the tube could fit in once you get the height right.

Edit, yes, the outer hoop on the stock mirror assembly might work better. I just noticed the post after I posted.

Csm Davis

Not fussing about what you are doing just curious why? Also you said you have holes in the doors from the mirrors but the bracket doesn't attach to the door so what holes? The ones from rubbing because someone doesn't understand to turn the mirror head instead of pulling the arm in so the door hits it? And the stock setup works regardless of windshield position, and is wide enough to see behind the truck. But to each his own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks