• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP or Husky VMMD Wheel Valve Stem Help Needed

MilSpec78

Hi Guys,

I am in need of your help.

I purchased what I believe to be MRAP wheels a couple months ago. After reviewing the numbers provided for the wheels, they appear to be from a Husky VMMD.

My plan is to use these wheels for my deuce and I am currently working on machining adapter plates for them.

One of the wheels had a broken valve stem. The valve stem is turret style with double bends and an o-ring. The rim hole appears to be .5" in diameter or a bit smaller. Maybe a .457" hole.

I have searched for this valve stem on the internet and I have also gone to tire places. I cannot find a replacement valve stem.

I believe MRAPs may come with more standard large bore valve stems (pictured below). I believe the J693 valve will work. I have also found euro style valve stems that may work (also pictured below). However, both of these stems require a .8125" hole. The hole in the rim is .5".

I can widen the rim hole to use the large bore valve or the euro style valve but I would prefer to find the correct replacement.

Do any of you recognize this type of valve and know where I can purchase one? If not, do you see any problem with widening the rim hole? Finally, if I have to choose one of the other valves, do you see any issue with using either one of these valves?

By the way, I am posting this on the deuce modification forum because I know people here are using these types of wheels for their deuces and may have this answer. I posted questions about MRAP wheel specs on the heavy armor forum and did not receive any responses.

Thanks!

Attachments

peashooter

PM sent on the valve stem. Also I've got MRAP adapters listed in the classifieds that will fit the deuce, all machined. I made a bunch so was able to get them done reasonably due to quantities. It might end up being cheaper than buying the metal and doing it yourself.

MilSpec78

I just responded to your PM. Thank you for the info and an order for the adapters may be on its way.

Sigh..If only I could buy metal for the same price scrap yards pay for it.

Thanks again!

MilSpec78

Just to follow up on this thread.

I used a J-690 valve and bought it from Les Schwab a tire dealer in the western US. It cost $17.

It needs a 13/16" hole so I increased the 1/2" diameter rim hole with a step bit. The valve fit perfectly.

I also added a large bore to standard bore adapter purchased from O'Reilley Auto Parts for $6.

The valve stem now just comes out 1/2" in front of the rim. A perfect fit.