• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP runflat, can it be used on a 5 ton combat wheel?

Strouty

Hi guys, I have a couple of projects going on and I can't seem to figure everything out. I have done a bunch of searches, but I can't find my answer. I want to use the MRAP tires on a stock 5 Ton two piece bolt together rim. I have pulled apart the MRAP rim and removed it from the tire, I was expecting there would be a beadlock, but then I saw it had a much larger inner ring. I am assuming that this is the runflat component? Can I just leave it in the tire and install the 5 Ton rim or do I need to remove it and use the beadlock that came with the 5 ton rims? Am I even making sense? I will try and get a couple of pictures, I am a bit confused by how many style wheels there actually are! Also need to confirm the best place to buy o-rings for the MRAP wheels, I have to use those for some smaller tires for a forklift project.

Last edited:

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MRAP run flats in the 395's work just fine on the 5 ton combat wheels. That is what I run on my truck. I'm not sure if the Aluminum wheels use the same o-ring as the steel wheels, so I can't help with that part. The steel MRAP wheels use 5/16 cross section part number OR20TUA.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The 5ton combat wheels use either a 1/4 or 3/8 depending on the beadlock stud size. Gemplers.com will have them. Call and ask for Stacey

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the original rims are 20inch and the second rim is 20inch AND the original width(probably 10inch) is the same as the second width, you should be good to go.

Strouty

If the original rims are 20inch and the second rim is 20inch AND the original width(probably 10inch) is the same as the second width, you should be good to go.
This was my original thought, but the runflat inserts are almost 3/4" wider than the 5 ton ones.

I could not find any perceivable difference in rim width, that was where my confusion started.

The studs are smaller, I think 5/8" and there were 20 of them IIRC. The socket size was 15/16".

These definitely have smaller O-Rings than the regular 5 ton wheels, I had read that people use the larger ones on both without issue and I was curious if that was true.

I guess I will have to mount the tires so I can see for sure.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This was my original thought, but the runflat inserts are almost 3/4" wider than the 5 ton ones.

I could not find any perceivable difference in rim width, that was where my confusion started.

The studs are smaller, I think 5/8" and there were 20 of them IIRC. The socket size was 15/16".

These definitely have smaller O-Rings than the regular 5 ton wheels, I had read that people use the larger ones on both without issue and I was curious if that was true.

I guess I will have to mount the tires so I can see for sure.
Check the parts spreadsheet what you need and who you need to email to get them is supplied in there. They are about $9 ea

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Strouty

Is there a link to the spreadsheet? $9 seems crazy expensive, I paid $1.75 for the larger o-rings.

Can the 395 85 R20s be run with the 14.00 20s? Or is it all or nothing? I have a couple leakers and figured I might as well put the 395s on, but I have not bobbed the truck yet, so I only have four of the 395s and the truck is still in 6x6 configuration.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a link to the spreadsheet? $9 seems crazy expensive, I paid $1.75 for the larger o-rings.

Can the 395 85 R20s be run with the 14.00 20s? Or is it all or nothing? I have a couple leakers and figured I might as well put the 395s on, but I have not bobbed the truck yet, so I only have four of the 395s and the truck is still in 6x6 configuration.
Most of the price difference is silicone vs rubber. The silicone are completely reusable, artic rated and far superior to the rubber.

If you run the 395s then put all 4 of them on the back and the 14s on the front. Don't engage the front axle unless you're in something slick and you'll be fine.

Strouty

I think I have also found out that the original purpose of the MRAP rims is DOA, I wanted to mount some 12.50 20 tires on them for a forklift, but it looks like that is a no go due to tire size. I am learning a lot, just not what I wanted to learn. NPT vs MPT, I had no idea that one style rim would work with both tires and the other only works with one style.

Strouty

It is a 939 series truck.

Back to the MRAP rims, the O-ring appears to be 3/16" with a 19" OD, I have seen people listing them with 1/4" diameter, is that OK to use? I have tons of the stock 5 ton ones, but those are not only too big, but they are too small overall diameter, so when trying to fit them, they pop out of the groove.

No matter what, I am going to try and mount one of my 12.50 20 XLs on the MRAP rim, I can't see any difference between those and the 5 Ton ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks