• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MT654 Gear Selector shaft Stuck

Josh

I put a take out trans in my truck. Once I got it all on I hooked up the shift linkage and it appears trans is stuck in reverse. I pulled the pan and everything looks fine. The shaft itself appears to be stuck and doesn't move at all. Is it possible to pull the valve body off the trans when still in the truck? Or am I asking for a nightmare. I'd really like to not pull the transmission again, so I am trying to explore any options that I can before it comes to that.

Attachments

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure you can pull the valve body while in the truck. I have done that in one commercial truck several times trying to get the trim set correctly. been a while back though. you will want to loosen all the bolts and let some of the fluid that in trans drain out because if I remember correctly there will be quite a bit.

Josh

Sure you can pull the valve body while in the truck. I have done that in one commercial truck several times trying to get the trim set correctly. been a while back though. you will want to loosen all the bolts and let some of the fluid that in trans drain out because if I remember correctly there will be quite a bit.
The TM doesn't show any springs or anything to to be removed, but they also all show it being worked on upside down. Is there any super tiny parts I need to to worry about?

Ford Mechanic

Some times there are rubber check balls in some of the passages, make sure you know where they go if there is any in there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember anything springing out at you it's mostly all inside the valve body just keep it the same way it is on transmission until you can get a good look at it

Josh

So you pulled it and got rusty water were there any check balls or springs?

None. The only thing that seemed to be able to come out, was the gear selector piston, But it was easy enough to shove right back in. I ended up pulling the other valve body off my toasted trans tonight and cleaned it up and reinstalled it. Having done it twice now, it takes about 15 minutes from when pan is pulled to when valve body is on the floor. Just note to put it back in the truck, I had to lay on some stacked 4x6s to get high enough off the ground to hold it in place while my buddy started a few screws. When in the truck, it pretty requires a second person.

Tomorrow's goal to put fluid and see if the rest of the trans is good.

I also took the rusty valve body into a local Allison shop and got quoted about 300 bucks to rebuild it. So With that and when funds permit I am going to buy a master rebuild kit for the bad trans and have a rebuilt unit sitting in the garage incase I need to do this again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you pulled it and got rusty water were there any check balls or springs?

Telepathy? Where did he post that info?

Csm Davis

Telepathy? Where did he post that info?
Pulled the valve body off my new take out trans that was stuck in reverse. Full of rusty water. Going to pull the valve body out of my other trans tomorrow and install it and see if the rest of that trans is in good shape. If not looks like I'm pulling the transmission again. Least I'm starting to become an expert at this. And for those worried about pulling the valve body on you truck, It took us less then 20 minutes from pulling the pan to having the body on the ground. Super simple.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, now I see, he posted info on this topic in another thread.

That's not very helpful to this thread...

Josh

Well its a moot point either way. The torque converter seal didnt seal and its pouring fluid out of the bell housing. So I gotta drag it out the the building and put it in a parking lot until I can yank the trans again. Going to pay to have my old one rebuilt and just slap a rebuilt in it with a warranty so I don't have to deal with this **** again.

Csm Davis

Well its a moot point either way. The torque converter seal didnt seal and its pouring fluid out of the bell housing. So I gotta drag it out the the building and put it in a parking lot until I can yank the trans again. Going to pay to have my old one rebuilt and just slap a rebuilt in it with a warranty so I don't have to deal with this **** again.
Sorry you got a bad transmission bud that's a raw deal unless you were told it was just a core, even then I would be upset about the water. Doghead is just trying to make this as good a place as possible to find good information, as easy as possible.

Josh

It was a take out trans. The guy I bought it from said if I had any issue to call him. I did everything I could to save the trans before I had to resort to that. That's the nature of used parts. You just dont know until it's in.

lindsey97

If you have a trans out of a truck, take it to an Allison service center or someone who has a transmission dyno. They can run the trans and test it's shift points, running temperature, and see if it is good overall. I bought 3 reman MT654dr from GL and each one came with its own dyno sheet, test specs, and lots of interesting info.

Josh

If you have a trans out of a truck, take it to an Allison service center or someone who has a transmission dyno. They can run the trans and test it's shift points, running temperature, and see if it is good overall. I bought 3 reman MT654dr from GL and each one came with its own dyno sheet, test specs, and lots of interesting info.
I was actually going to PM you about the one you had for sale. I just think shipping would make it cheaper to get the one I have rebuilt. I am waiting on a quote but depending on what they say, it might be cheaper to just pay for a ride on one.

lindsey97

Shipping kills everything. Just guessing, but around $400 to ship. I would build the one you have. They can set the valve body shift points while in the truck or installed on a dyno. Keep your old trans for parts, torque converter and other internal parts are highly valuable.

Josh

The gentleman I bought the take out from is issuing me a full refund. Soon as I get a replacement to put in the truck and remove his, I am going to return his back to be used as a core.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks