• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTVR engine ECM

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GoECM checked out my old ecm, said it was fried / unrepairable. Said it wouldnt communicate w their tool, they opened up and found bad processor, maybe some other things.

I asked them about getting rebuilt one, they said no, didnt have one. They showed several compatible part#s as being in stock (like 10R-3571, i think 348-2377, etc... part #s cat shows as direct fit / direct replacement...). I asked about those. They said wont work. I said they should work, just need to be reprogrammed to work... they said nope, just not possible... said mine was an "industrial application" that "they dont usually work on". Which is weird since i called them before sending my ecm in, gave them serial number, just to confirm they worked with them.

And they had my ecm for 9 days before hearing from them (and i had to call in and ask about it before they did anything with it). Anyways, at least they checked it out for free.... i didnt want to try to insist on them reprogramming another ecm to work... bc if it didnt work in my hands, be easy for them to say "sorry, but we told u it wouldnt work" and deny any return / warranty. Ive heard good things about their customer service, maybe i just got the random bad experience that fell thru the cracks

ANYWAYS!!

Just received new ecm for my truck (brand new one, blank, from totally different supplier). Arrived a few minutes ago. Will be giving it a go programming with cat ET tonight / this weekend. Should be an adventure (read/watched a lot of videos/posts online about how to do it... but i can see a 1000x ways to have issue, esp first time... and i know that its possible i could get perfect ecm put in, truck still not start if i still have problem somewhere else too... just a whole lot of potential pitfalls).

Will keep ya folks posted on how things go

EDITED TO ADD - this is a new ecm from cat, factory sealed in box, from someone who sells cat parts on ebay (im guessing they get overstocks on items/buy out dealer inventory when closing, have a lot of cat stuff, but is random scattering of various things...lots of feedback though (2500), all very positive so thats very good thing). Got for a "reasonable price"... lot less then cat is asking for directly. Didnt go w any of the chinese options out there (see lots advertised, but whether they are truly new or just rebuilt, dont know, thats a road im not going down....
What ECM model did you go with and price? I'm sure others will be needing one too eventually.

IridiumRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
348-2377, the factory original part number. Supposed to be all brand new / made in USA / not rebuilt or remanned in any way, just sealed in factory box

Was 3K. My thinking was, unless something really fucks up / i **** something up, I should get a good decade of use out of it... I liked the idea of all new components, not just something rebuilt with maybe a couple new parts inside, but all else old... or "rebuilt" just being used one that tested good, maybe got fresh paint on it.

I plan to keep this truck forever, and this whole issue has been huge pain to me (truck ran awesome, then one day crank no start.... really pulled some hair trying to figure it out, then getting cat ET, comm adapter, jump harness, plug adapters, ... t hen getting all that set up... then trying to figure out if ecm bad, then sending it off, then its bad, then trying to find new one, etc etc etc). Huge learning curve, learned a lot, but just would love to not have to think about having ECM issues for a long time! Also, dont want to be walking on eggshells with this thing, always worried a used ECM is just gonna pop on a random day....

I had to REALLY think about whether to do this or not... but went this way. Hopefully made right choice. Btw, working on programming it right now, and when I hooked up ET to ECM, it did show up as a "blank box needing programming" so thats good start

IF this ecm works out, I'll share my source (am wary of junk/counterfeit/damaged parts when it comes to these things... i want this to be proven before i share source. I only recommend proven sources. However, right now I'm feeling really good about it, it looks MINT)

IridiumRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got truck running! Runs great (like she used to). Fired instantly (and she hasn't run for a month at least). She always started super easy, super quick in the past, glad thats back! (versus no start at all)

Btw, I used cat et 2011B (its what I had easiest access to). Seemed to work fine, as far as I could see??

First time i've even touched cat et in person, so the whole thing was a big learning curve...esp not having anyone around to show me anything / not having functional ecm & truck to hook up to, see what things -should- look like