• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

much to my chagrin....

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this an upgrade only recommended for the 3116 or is it also a good idea for the 3126?
It's debatable whether it is a "recommended upgrade". Either design can understandably have problems after 20+ years of use, so the "recommendation" is more accurately just to check, and/or replace the line if it is suspect.

To my knowledge, there are only reports of old/original steel lines failing, so the "upgrade" is a "solution" to a problem that doesn't really exist, and introduces its own weaknesses. The steel line will flow better.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's debatable whether it is a "recommended upgrade". Either design can understandably have problems after 20+ years of use, so the "recommendation" is more accurately just to check, and/or replace the line if it is suspect.

To my knowledge, there are only reports of old/original steel lines failing, so the "upgrade" is a "solution" to a problem that doesn't really exist, and introduces its own weaknesses. The steel line will flow better.

the more I look at the "wonky-ness" of the Grigsby install I am seriously considering installing a new OEM oil line sitting on my roll cabinet.....

87cr250r

I get the misfortune of racking up a lot of hours on a lot of engines. There are certainly locations that you're going to experience repeat failures. The Cats are especially prone to breaking hard lines. There have been a few cases where we solved problems using rubber hoses. Also know that Cat only recently discovered that you have to use EPDM o-rings for face seal and boss fittings used in coolant service. I always recommend OEM unless you have special knowledge of a better solution or OEM is not available.

Ronmar

I get the misfortune of racking up a lot of hours on a lot of engines. There are certainly locations that you're going to experience repeat failures. The Cats are especially prone to breaking hard lines. There have been a few cases where we solved problems using rubber hoses. Also know that Cat only recently discovered that you have to use EPDM o-rings for face seal and boss fittings used in coolant service. I always recommend OEM unless you have special knowledge of a better solution or OEM is not available.
Or OEM has repeatedly failed destroying engines:)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or OEM has repeatedly failed destroying engines:)
But if we had 100,000 of these trucks with the soft lines, 25 years old, we'd be hearing lots of stories of "soft oil line of death" too. So it's not the technology of the line, it's just that if the line fails for any reason, you're dumping all your oil in 90 seconds.

Last edited:

87cr250r

The problem with soft lines is that theyre difficult to specify. It's especially difficult for the average Joe to make the correct selection. The hose shops don't know, either.

Back to the hard lines, I've never had one cause a failure of an engine, just shutdowns. Don't keep running it if it's pushing oil out.

An interesting story, our Cat 3500 series engines with right hand service option used to blow the o-rings annually on the main line pipe from the cooler to the filter (a 2" line, big mess). It was always a spiral fracture in the o-ring. Cat played with different brackets and never had improvement. We changed the assembly lubricant and solved the problem.

Ronmar

Yep I love hardlines, and this one would not have been an issue if they had simply added support or routed it so it was not overhung… to be fair, where hoses are specified, typically so are inspection and replacement intervals for the reasons mentioned…

87cr250r

I didn't mean to say we didn't have significant risk from failures of hard lines, just that one never caused the death of an engine. The above lube pipe failure I mentioned would dump 25-35 gallons of oil within an hour. It required a shutdown of the engine but didn't cause additional damage.

I am actually a hose fan but I focus on correct hose specification and application. I also understand that hoses cost more than hard piping which seems to be lost on the proponents.of hose.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't mean to say we didn't have significant risk from failures of hard lines, just that one never caused the death of an engine. The above lube pipe failure I mentioned would dump 25-35 gallons of oil within an hour. It required a shutdown of the engine but didn't cause additional damage.

I am actually a hose fan but I focus on correct hose specification and application. I also understand that hoses cost more than hard piping which seems to be lost on the proponents.of hose.
The problem here is the "oil line of death" is so named because it HAS caused engine failures since it will pump the engine dry in a very short period at 2600 RPM cruising on the highway and goes unnoticed till it's too late because the leak is below and behind the operator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks