• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mud bogging the stock deuce

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a offroad park near me that has a small, but deep, mud bog pit where no 4x4 has EVER gotten through it without a tow. First truck to do it gets $100 cash. The pit has medium-thick mud and two submerged humps of hardened dirt at the bottom. The combination of the mud and the bumps makes it very difficult for any 4-wheeled vehicle to get through it.

My question is this: I believe I may have a shot here of getting through the bog in a 6-wheel drive vehicle, mainly due to the added drive axle which may counteract the effects of the submerged bumps in the pit. But I might be limited by my tires. How effective is a deuce with a standard setup driveline, and 9.00x20 NDT tires, in mud?

dc3coyote

Are there any lockers on it? Iknow Detroit makes them
You could borrow a Pinz 712 with 1000lbs in the back. That would get you through anything.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, just stock axle setup. Airshift front axle. Don't know anyone local with a Pinz, but thanks for the info. Rather 'wheel a vehicle I am familiar with anyways...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
maddawg308 said:
There is a offroad park near me that has a small, but deep, mud bog pit where no 4x4 has EVER gotten through it without a tow. First truck to do it gets $100 cash. The pit has medium-thick mud and two submerged humps of hardened dirt at the bottom. The combination of the mud and the bumps makes it very difficult for any 4-wheeled vehicle to get through it.

My question is this: I believe I may have a shot here of getting through the bog in a 6-wheel drive vehicle, mainly due to the added drive axle which may counteract the effects of the submerged bumps in the pit. But I might be limited by my tires. How effective is a deuce with a standard setup driveline, and 9.00x20 NDT tires, in mud?
Sounds like fun :) We have done quite a bit of bogging at Haspin in years past. The NDT's do a pretty good job of digging down to the hard pan. They also clean out well due to the large spacing between the lugs. Where they really lack traction is laterally so if you are trying to side-hill on a slippery slope or make a turn, they always want to go down-hill or push straight ahead. That shouldn't be a problem for you so long as the pit is a straight shot. My best advice is to keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel and hold the wheel loosely. I was playing in Elohim1's deuce at Haspin 2 years ago and about got my shoulder dislocated when I hit a rut because I was holding the wheel tightly to try and stay out of the rut. Airing the tires down will help a lot too. If you run around 10 psi they will conform to the bottom of the hole better and won't bounce and lose traction when they hit the bumps.

Please have someone video tape your run and post it here!!

texas-5-ton

Sure you can !! Just gas on it and don't let off. I used to do this all the time in my old deuce. There was one hole that everyone got stuck in except me. And my old truck would just waller it out.

spicergear

I'll bet a hundred bucks that it take more than two 4x4's to pull you out!!! There is NO WAY stock gummies and 14,000Lbs, no traction aids is gonna make it. Two feet deep and you won't make it. ...take video though-- :D

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
deuces in the mud arent ot good. i have been in alot of muddy situations in mine. the last time i sank mine really good, i was in deep clay. the front end hit and started to plow and that was it. clay was up to the frame and the back axle was still on dry ground. it took an M813 to pull me out after it had to drag me into the mud further to release my winch cable because i blew my shear pin. not having powersteering is also really fun in the mud. the wheel is going to rip out of your hand and go where ever it feels like. dont try to stop it, you might burn the palms of your hands or get a broken wrist if you slip and get inside the wheel. i know somone who this happened to. if they got a bull dozer or somthin there to drag you out if you dont make it i say go for it but becareful. if the wheel goes nuts let go and let off the loudpedal :D
what size trucks are trying to make this mud hole?? i bet i can make it. prolly in 2wd

Attachments

dc3coyote

Man you know what do it!!! Your a wuss if you dont. Cause when you make it you get a 100 bucks.
Also shoot tone of pics and video.
Oh yea I am not know for having the best judgement when it comes to that stuff I always try.
Branan

emr

Singles, chains and narrow tires, these trucks are awesome in mud, Ive had mine up to the running boards thick good stuff, And at Aberdeen the MUD year, it was again a different style of mud , thin layer but so slimly U could lube a rear with it! The ONLY TRUCKS that were worth a darn were the Deuces and M37's, true mud trucks, NOTHING else was as good driving thru or towing, and alot of guys tried, I did over 30 BIG HEAVY trucks.. aired way down that is the way a NDT is ment to work and they do, another time ,following a halftrack , was well it went alot further easier than me, but that does not take away from the deuce, ive run a few comp bogs with the M38 with the 225 V6 and 7:00 tracktor very deep and wide chevron tread tires and I ate all the big trucks alive each time, each mud bog has its own style on what gear to run, speed, and so on, watch and learn from the other guys for awile first if u already havnt,,, it seems big enough U need to watch the tracks/ruts close to the time u want to go too, Randy

emr

all the posts about a M series not good in the mud, better practice! LOL!!! and learn what your truck can do and watch and learn the terain U drive on.. the secrets of getting thru are all around U ..watch the tires watch the consistancy of the terain, does it change and when, I pulled more trucks out because i drive were i can get thru, the truck is only as good as the driver, OUCH, im not signing this one, ok, randy

joec

Mike you fixing the yoda?......you probally coul in 2wheel...lol...!
when we use to wheel with yoda's 44's were what was hot. we might bring bills old truck muttant toy back out with deuce rears and ouverson goodies in it. Thats a ways off. We use to rule back in the day. Lacey 1/4 mile pretty much everywhere. Tractor tires changed everything now!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mike:
It sounds like you have done some homework, I would get into some old clothes and wade through it to get the real feel for what you are facing. These trucks are built for off road conditions the one thing that you will not have is the rest of the company to include the M816 to help you recover if you fail. I agree on the air down of the tires but that and airing them back up to get home would almost be a hundred bucks of work at my age...lol

Mudlord that mud toyota looks awesome I hope to see you in action some day when I get home

saddamsnightmare

December 29th, 2007.

Take your chances, Single up the rear duals, use chains if you have them, and pray a lot! In the W.Va. hills the loggers really hated the NDT's lack of lateral stability in steering on sideslopes, and they used to say NDT was No Directional Traction. I've seen a few M135/M35's stuck, mostly Corps of Engineers in mud work, but they can pull with the right tires and techniques. The duals will float in the mud if the truck is empty, and I would pull them down to 10 to 15 PSI to gain the grip. Also get a REALLY big tow strap and have it already hooked up- you may need it. ( a bulldozer or a skycrane might be a useful back up). I just got a super heavy duty item from a C130 extraction chute line, it looks like it would get you out or take the pintle hook with it.
The other suggestion is to use a Unimog S404 or U1300L with chains and the locking f&r differentials- you would take the man's money right outta his pocket.

Good luck and send a video when you're done,

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss) (laid up needing new carb & fuel pump- WATCH out for bad gas in Texas)
1971 KAiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm Deuce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks