• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mufflers

JAsher45

what is your guy's preference on mufflers. I just got an email from my dad who is taking care of my M1009 while i am gone and said everything is working good except a couple rust holes coming through the muffler. I am thinking i will go with flowmasters 40 series. what are your guys thoughts

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think Flowmasters would sound good. I had a 6.2 with a turbo and no muffler, sounded good except at a certain RPM it was real raspy sounding,kinda like an old hotrod with glass packs.

BKinzey

Where is your M1009 stored? I've got 2 mufflers, unknown brand, for 2.5" pipe in good shape you can have. I'm in Los Angeles. Don't think they would be worth shipping but might figure something out. :D

AJMBLAZER

I've got plain ol' Maremont brand Cherry Bombs. They make some that are just about the perfect size and offset to go in place of the stock mufflers on these things. Not to mention they cost $22 each from the local AutoZone. There's a write up on my CarDomain site:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/364830/2

I'm not a big fan of Slowmasters. They flow better than OEM mufflers true but there are many different mufflers out there that flow better than Slowmasters. That and EVERY redneck around here with a V8 powered pickup has a set of dual tailpipes and at least one Slowmaster 40 series. I guess I'm tired of the sound...hell, I even had one on my Blazer about 5 years ago.

If you want to spend $60+ each on mufflers consider Magnaflows. Straight through like a Glasspack/Cherry Bomb but also stainless steel. I've put them on some of my vehicles and love them. The only reason I didn't go with them on Big Ugly is I am sort of considering a turbo and a 3" or so single exhaust so I figured I'd just use Cherry Bombs until then. Magnaflows sound good, cost the same (or less in some cases), and have that great stainless steel finish that holds up really well. Mine each went through two Michigan winters exposed to slush, snow, ice, and lots of road salt and both looked great when I last saw them (sold my previous pickup and the wife's SUV was in an accident).

AJMBLAZER

Didn't realize the 6.2L needed that big. I've seen some of the 6.5L builders recommend no bigger than 3.5" for those so I figured a 6.2L wouldn't be any different.

JAsher45

thanks for all the imput guys.. i will keep my options open. whatever i do to it is sure to be more quite then my 94 dodge with straight 4 inch from the turbo back,

CCATLETT1984

AJMBLAZER said:
Didn't realize the 6.2L needed that big. I've seen some of the 6.5L builders recommend no bigger than 3.5" for those so I figured a 6.2L wouldn't be any different.
4" with the turbo is the biggest pipe that you can run without just wasting money.
dual 3" on a N/A truck is as big as i would go ( and thats prolly overkill)

AJMBLAZER

You've got plenty of options JAsher45.

Man, dual 3" pipe is just big for a NA motor...do these things really "breathe" that much more than a comparable gas engine? Dual 2.5" or single 3" is good for a healthy small block and dual 3" or single 3.5" is good for a big block. I get that turbos can push more out but does one of these NA engines really need that big of an exhaust?

JAsher45

so far my plan is to stick with 2.5 back to the mufflers then 2.5 or 2 inch out of the muffler but that is pretty much what i am looking at now. i know it will be a lil bit louder then stock, but i like a lil extra grumble out of the pipes. performance would be improved by running 2 inch with a X pipe but i am not looking to pull any more torque out of this moter unless i come across a 6.5 turbo to drop in. When we dyno test rebuilds at camp dodge. the exhaust is pretty much free flowing from the headers it goes into a large collector and straight up through the roof. it is amazing to see how much power can come out of these 6.2 and 6.5 NA motors when they are rebuilt corectly and not slamed together by PVT joe snuffy that is just looking to get it done and pass dyno. i could go on and on about the motors i have put one the dyno in the shop but i will save that for another time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks