• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule Tranny Making Noise

LifeLongWNYer

I'm looking for some advice on a Mule tranny. I'm in the process of buying my first, and looked at one yesterday that is in pretty good shape, and definitely is a "usable" Mule, but need work. For example, if you hit the brakes hard, they don't release without playing around.

It drives well, but in second gear, ( in both high and low range ) the transmission makes a unusual noise. It is hard to describe, but is a repetitive "tinging" sound, which varies with the Mule speed. First and high are fine.

So:
1. Is this fixable? I am suspecting YES, depending on the next question
2. Are parts available?
3. Is moving this vehicle under it's own power likely to cause more damage? ie: are there "parts" loose and circulating in the transmission that are likely to get wedged in some place that will tear the gears up?

The vehicle looks like a fair deal otherwise, I'm wondering how high a hurdle this tranny problem is.

Thanks for you time,

JBP

oddave715

Call John Emory. He should have the parts you will need. And he is a knowledgable gentleman. 262-567-5605. I believe this is his number. If not please let me know and I'll make sure to post the correct number for you.

Last edited:

InsleyGuy

For some reason the SS mule forum is not real active. Try the g503 site. Chuck W. has a transmission overhaul tutorial with lots of pictures. You will find that John Emery is the go to parts guy. Good luck, Tom