• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

multi-fuel deuce diesels?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Gimp is the ONLY person that I know of that makes used waste oil CLEANER then pump fuel.
Yes Sir, your statement is incorrect.
I filter it continuously, my way is even better, but nobody asked......................
What it is one is attempting to protect? Thimk.
Do you want the entire story?
One may have to read it all. Oh the labor of it all.................

rustystud

Yes Sir, your statement is incorrect.
I filter it continuously, my way is even better, but nobody asked......................
What it is one is attempting to protect? Thimk.
Do you want the entire story?
One may have to read it all. Oh the labor of it all.................
OK Frank. You've hinted about it for quite some time now so just "spill" about your filter system !

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason for bypassing the FDC is to prevent leakage of fuel into the crankcase, an indication that micro particles wear the honed surfaces of the piston within, causing this problem.
It doesn't change any of the abilities of the multifuel engine from burning any mixture of fuels, diesel just gives the highest power output.

If you run on biodiesel/veggie oil, you will notice a loss of power. As a matter of fact, the FDC works in the opposite fashion when using bio-fuels, it reduces the metered intake because it is denser and has a lower BTU rating...

My xm757 features the same multifuel engine but the FDC also has an additional function, which relates to the automatic transmission, it keeps it from overrevving, so bypassing it is not an option.

I have added a magnetic fuel filter to keep microparticles from harming the mechanical interfaces of the FDC and injection pump.
I clean it once a year more or less and it's always a surprise to see how much sticks to it (probably rust from the fuel tank mostly).
2013 0909 1309 hrs, Monday, clean magnetic fuel filter, particles trapped.jpg 2015 0629 1542 hrs, magnetic fuel filter, back side.jpg
Easy to fabricate and highly recommended.
Note: The fuel tanks on this series of trucks were made of aluminum, but I have not found any for my project, so mine are steel types.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The multifuels don't have glow plugs, which preheat incomming air only in a cold engine (as in the CUCV series) but they do have a "manifold heater" for cold starts in cold weather. Look to the lower left of the dash in most Dueces and you will see the preheater switch. This switch should ONLY be used while cranking a cold engine in cold weather. This sprays fuel into the intake manifold and ignites it with a spark plug, thus heating the incoming air. The problem with this is that although it heats the air to make starting easier, it also burns much of the oxygen out of the air which does just the opposite.

BTW, the multifuel engines were liscensed for manufacture in the U.S. from a German company.
The patent was licensed, not the engine and the FDC was patented by Continental.
multifuel engine patent.jpgfdc lapped fit from patent.jpgFDC point of leakage.jpg
Also, missing from an earlier post, the FDC patent:
fdc patent, us003204623-001, (3).jpg

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
See rustystud posts on IP rebuilds. Especially see his posts about examining repairing FDC's.
What is it We are trying to protect is some really fine(ly) lapped in parts.

How about ...........
NO no NO never put diesel crankcase oil into your multi fuel. There is not a way to get the soot out.
Use anything from other IC engines. Some have given me used up motorcycle oil and other oils that just on sight one knows it will never be good enough for fuel in a multi fuel. I tossed all that stuff.
I do know that NEW motor oil of all types burns just fine in the multi fuel and doesn't hurt a thing. I filtered that too anyway. I have supply of new motor oil which is actually just residuals from containers that drain to collection point.
You can all dump garbage in your fuel tanks and she will burn it but then after a while you get to replace the hydraulic head.

rustystud

See rustystud posts on IP rebuilds. Especially see his posts about examining repairing FDC's.
What is it We are trying to protect is some really fine(ly) lapped in parts.

How about ...........
NO no NO never put diesel crankcase oil into your multi fuel. There is not a way to get the soot out.
Use anything from other IC engines. Some have given me used up motorcycle oil and other oils that just on sight one knows it will never be good enough for fuel in a multi fuel. I tossed all that stuff.
I do know that NEW motor oil of all types burns just fine in the multi fuel and doesn't hurt a thing. I filtered that too anyway. I have supply of new motor oil which is actually just residuals from containers that drain to collection point.
You can all dump garbage in your fuel tanks and she will burn it but then after a while you get to replace the hydraulic head.
Hey Frank aren't you going to share your fuel filter secret ? Truly I am really curious !
Or is this something your trying to sell ? If so can you give us a little hint of how it works ?
Trust me, I know all about sharing something you came up with here. After all your not getting paid for it, plus your just helping this site bring in more members who bring in more money for them. Money which you will never see a cent of.
Also even if you do bring something really special here, this site can kick you off for just pissing off the wrong people and keep your idea. My own power steering solution is starting to come along now that the machine shop is finally finishing up their part. So yes I do understand if you don't want to share.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks