• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multi Fuel engine on propane?

Autocar

The reason gasoline engines are converted to propane and not diesel engines is that the air/fuel ratio must be correct. Gasoline engines meter both air and fuel where a diesel engine meters only fuel. You can't just dump propane into a diesel engine because there is no way to meter the air flow to get the right air/fuel ratio.

JasonS

I have seen very large diesel engines which run on natural gas and light off using a diesel pilot injection.

Autocar

I have seen very large diesel engines which run on natural gas and light off using a diesel pilot injection.
Correct. Butterfly valves are installed in the intake manifolds and are usually controlled with pneumatic rams. There is usually a very complex control box that meters air flow and controls propane flow(usually by altering propane manifold pressure). About 10% pilot diesel injection is used to fire off the mixture. The engines are called "Dual Fuel" engines.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Propane will work on start-up on cold days, but to run completely on propane is not good at all. The fuel has no lubricating properties at all.

Don

charger

I figure the answer is no, but I have to ask. Is it possible to
get a Multi Fuel or diesel engine set up so that it will run on propane or natural gas?
Bruce
a fuel like propane added to the air intake doesn't ignite at the timed ignition point of diesel, it will lift the head, propane kits for diesels are a scam

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo&playnext=1&list=PL9775EE38AE452AFC[/media]

jj

Seem to recall that the Burlington Northern RR experimented with some propane fueled railroad locomotives. A pair of locomotives with a tank car of fuel in between them. I have no idea about the actual engines, though. It would take some doing to put spark plugs and an ignition system on a railroad sized diesel engine.

5tonpuller

I have been running propane in the 5 ton for years. AS a supplement. A boost. The more you feed it the more power you get. ET get hi fast on a good pull. I found out that the best rpm to use it is between 1900 and 2200. Any more then what I am feeding it I think would make the multi confused and the parts will fly. Most D motors use it as a boosting aid. Like NO2 in a gas motor. Lots of gas means lots of power. Will the multi take it? I dont think so. At least that much.

charger

Seem to recall that the Burlington Northern RR experimented with some propane fueled railroad locomotives. A pair of locomotives with a tank car of fuel in between them. I have no idea about the actual engines, though. It would take some doing to put spark plugs and an ignition system on a railroad sized diesel engine.
a company called Westport converts diesel engines to natural gas, they have their own natural gas injectors, that inject it like diesel fuel,

charger

I have been running propane in the 5 ton for years. AS a supplement. A boost. The more you feed it the more power you get. ET get hi fast on a good pull. I found out that the best rpm to use it is between 1900 and 2200. Any more then what I am feeding it I think would make the multi confused and the parts will fly. Most D motors use it as a boosting aid. Like NO2 in a gas motor. Lots of gas means lots of power. Will the multi take it? I dont think so. At least that much.
nitous oxide acts to increase the oxygen content of the incoming air in a gas or diesel engine, more o2 better stronger combustion when the diesel is injected, it is non flammable and not a fuel, propane is a fuel and when added to the incoming air on a diesel engine ignites out of tme and outside of the bowl

Verkstad

I figure the answer is no, but I have to ask. Is it possible to
get a Multi Fuel or diesel engine set up so that it will run on propane or natural gas?
Bruce
I would say most likely yes, Costwise practical, Probably not.
Motors running on NG are very common on stationary applications.
Basically a Diesel motor fitted with sparkplugs and ignition. Caterpillar and Hino are the 2 I have worked along side on the electrical part of their installations.

Of course fitting that old multifuel armymotor would be a top skilled machinists project.

Have Fun,
Jakob

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nitous oxide acts to increase the oxygen content of the incoming air in a gas or diesel engine, more o2 better stronger combustion when the diesel is injected, it is non flammable and not a fuel, propane is a fuel and when added to the incoming air on a diesel engine ignites out of tme and outside of the bowl
A nitrous oxide trick I have seen is to light a cigarette, inhale nitrous oxide, and immediately exhale through the cigarette. The coal becomes a white hot torch and will burn through a pie plate or aluminum beer can. Bets were won. The nitrous can't burn by itself so it was presumed 'safe' to do the trick but I would not do it.

cvh20

Propane or natural gas is commonly used in big diesel generators to conserve fuel and make the diesel tanks last longer. It is fairly expensive option though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks