• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multi-fuel engines.

FLYWHEEL

Hi everyone, I have been looking at a M35 that is for sale and on the engine plate it says that it is a Hercules LD-465-1C with a contract number DAEE06-68-C-0006. I have done a few searches on here but find the information a bit confusing. The information that I require is if I can date the engine from the contract number, also if this engine would of been originally a non turbo.
One thing that i have found out is that TD on the block means it is a thick deck engine which is an improvement on the original design. Any help will be greatly received. many thanks, Mark

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the contract number date (1968 ) is a reasonable approximation of the date of mfg. And yes, the LD engines were not turbosupercharged.

FLYWHEEL

Yes, the contract number date (1968 ) is a reasonable approximation of the date of mfg. And yes, the LD engines were not turbosupercharged.
Thank you for your reply NDT, So the turbo was fitted by the military as part of the clean air kit ? Just one more question, is the LDT just a LD engine with a turbo fitted or is there any other differences. Thanks again, Mark

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your engine started out as an LD and had the turbo kit (clean air kit) added at a later date. This is common. Your engine block is a "TD" thick deck block, which, amongst other things, has a stronger, more warp-resistant surface where the cylinder heads sit.

All of this is desirable; the actual age of the block is almost irrelevant; components were swapped in regular service and the accessories like injection pump, alternator etc. may have been updated several times.

LD and LDT are otherwise identical; the fuel delivery on the LD had to be adjusted for the addition of the turbo, but that was about it. The innards are interchangeable between LD and LDT.

What counts is what it looks like, what it sounds like and if the stuff supposed to stay inside the block actually stays inside during operation.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks