• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multi-fuel in a 5 ton.

5.0fox

Can someone please school me on the 5 ton trucks with Multi-fuels. Are these similar to the engines in the duece's? I am wondering because I know of a 5 ton dump with a multi-fuel and I was just contemplating how the multi-fuel would do in a truck that is so much bigger than the duece. I was looking for a 5 ton anyways, and down the road I may wish to pull a trailer with a backhoe or small track loader. Should I hold out until I can find one with a cummins?

dm22630

They have a lot less power than a Cummins engine. If you are pulling a loaded trailer, you will go slow. It would depend on how much $$$ they want for it & how fast you want to get from point A to point B.

I am in Northern VA also.......PM me if you decide you dont want that truck......I would like a shot at it.

Thanks!

Massm35a2

I've driven a multi 5 ton, Gearing is lower than the deuce so, less speed. The 5 tons had some Mods done to the multi, more HP 205 I think. Great truck I would jump on it.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will not hurt for power. The multifuel moves my 5 ton wrecker, which weighs approximately 36,000 pounds down the road with no problem. We have the fuel turned up. We do that on all of our trucks because the military seems to set them so low it costs a lot of performance. We have a 5 ton dump we are converting to a grain hauler this spring, and will pull a gravity wagon with it. Yes, the road speed is not as great as a deuce because of the gearing, but I do not think you will be disappointed overall with your purchase. You likely won't buy a civilian truck this tough for the same money.
Regards Marti

5.0fox

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it. I'm not real worried about getting there fast anyways, just as long as it gets there :-D. I'll have to get back in touch with the guy that has it and go for from there.

derby

My first drive in my M51a2 was in the northern hills of Pa. I was a little disappointed,but the smoke out of the pipe was pretty cool! the truck had set for some time and had some stale fuel. i dumped in some fresh fuel and some injector cleaner and after 100 miles it seemed to run great.360 mile trip averaged 6-7 mpg. now here in the flat lands of Mi it rolls right along,even loaded with wet sand. I am very pleased with the LDS engine.and did i say how cool the smoke is? kind of like lighting a couple wheel borrow tires on fire and routing it thru a 3 1/2 pipe! it is much more user friendly than a deuce as it has the power steering. go for it!

emr

same motor and interchangable,5 ton more fuel more air more power, thats the difference and the starter is on the other side, ive seen a deuce multi in the 5 ton and the other way around in the local unit here, sometimes people just use what they got, its alot easier to juice up a deuce than swap a motor though, they are all good, ...

CharlieM

I pull a T250 Track loader, a 580 Case backhoe, or a 350C John Deere Dozer just fine. When I am not in a hurry it will also haul the 160 Hitachi. Mulitfuel with the fuel turned up just a little.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks