• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multi-fuel life span?

maddeuce360

Ive read that these engines can just throw a rod whenever they feel like it but whats the real life span of these engines? Most diesels will out last a gasoline engine - so shouldn't these do the same?

JasonS

A very similar engine was used in White/ Oliver tractors. The white tractor forums suggest about 4k hours before a loose sleeve or leaking injector. My understanding is that this kind of lifespan was pretty normal for tractors in the 1980s. You can buy sleeves which are larger in OD.

monkster

I would like to know this as well. As for as i know from a tractor mech they are a olvier eng made by herculies. I fiigure with good maint. they would last a long time, and not over REV.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Overreving is the main killer to these engines (and poor PM). Even "redline" on our engines is too fast. I've limited my speed to 45mph and less. Hopefully I'll regain a nicer cruise speed when I get the 395's on.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It depends on how well it is maintained and if it is abused to the breaking point.

Running one right up against the governer for long periods of time can decrease life.

Turning one up and not installing a pyrometer can get you into trouble also.

ranchhopper

As with most diesels lugging the engine will drastically shorten its life better to be on a high end of one gear than to low end for the other. I was taught no lugging them down,easy on the fuel on cold starts and cool them down before shut down I have logged many miles and years running diesels and this advise served me well.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for as i know from a tractor mech they are a olvier eng made by herculies.
The tractor engines are Hercules engines designed and built by Hercules. They are basicly the same engine that is in our trucks minus the multifuel capability. Oliver just decided to use their engine to use it their tractors.