• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

multi fuel repair problems

drjconley

i am still in the process of changing the head gaskets. i have three questions. is there an obvious reason that i cannt get the starter to turn the engine over with the heads off. also, how easy is it to get a head gasket to fail by lugging the engine. i am wondering if it was my fault having the head gasket fail. finally it was recommended to change out the temp sending unit. where is that unit located.
thank you
jim

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you want to use the starter to turn it with the heads off? Just pull on the fan. Lugging won't pop a head gasket out. The temp dender is in the water rail, by the thremostat. Was it working before you took it apart? If so, why change a working part?
HTH, Will

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be very careful spinning one of these with the starter with the heads off. We have had engines with sleeves that will move up out of the bore when the motor is turned. If you do it with the starter and a sleeve comes far enough up to let the rings get below the bottom of the sleeve on the piston return stroke, you have to take the pan off and the rod and piston out to re-assemble.
We were concerned about the engines that had sleeves that moved, but they have given no trouble in service.
Regards Marti

drjconley

as always thank you for the good advice. i never even thought of using the fan to turn over that huge motor. the temp gauge wasnt working, but i dont know if it was the sender, the gauge or the wiring. i figured i would start with the sender unit. i wont be using the starter, thank goodness it didnt work, but is there an obvious reason it wouldnt turn over.
thanks again
jim

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jim:
Are we to understand the starter worked before you removed the heads? If so, check to see that you did not knock loose or remove a wire somewhere. There is a motor to cab ground at the back of the heads. If you removed that, it might be a contributor to the problem if a motor to frame ground is missing. Do you hear any solenoids clicking when you hit the start button? If not, you have a power loss somewhere.
The advice about the short bolts and washers to retain the sleeves is a method I use on all sleeved engines as well. If a sleeve did move up, you have to bring it up carefully high enough as you turn the motor to keep the piston in the sleeve to check for any carbon or crud that might have gotten into the groove under the sleeve lip that would prevent it seating properly in the block. A vacuum cleaner will usually remove it.
Regards Marti

drjconley

marti, thank you for the help. i tell all my friends how great it is that all of the ss members are willing and happy to help each other.
yes, the starter worked prior to the removal of the heads. it is a blessing though that it isnt working right now, because if it was there is a good chance i would have pushed out a sleeve. i dont hear any clicking from the starter, but i am getting fuel out of the fuel line if i turn on the fuel pump. i am not getting too excited about the starter yet. i was planning on putting the heads back on and worrying about the starter later. does anyone see any problems with that. i had the heads milled, and purchased all the gaskets. i think i am ready for the weekend. i also printed out the tm for reassembly. thanks for all the help. i wouldnt have bought the truck if it wasnt for this site.
jim

drjconley

m543a2 you called it, my starter wasnt working because i took off the ground to get to the injector on the # 6 cylinder. the truck started up almost immediately after we filled it up with fluids. it sounds better than when i bought it. thanks for you help.
jim