• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel bearings

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So some of you may remember I snapped the crank in my wrecker's original motor. I have acquired another crank from another multifuel. When we took it out, the bearings looked good. I am thinking about re-using the bearings. I will be calling to see how much a set is, but I'm willing to bet its big $$$. How stupid would it be to not get a new bearing set? Anyone have a set.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize funds are tight for everyone here ,but would feel alot better with new ones if it was mine . They are a key factor in the oil pressure for the motor .2cents

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I learned how to rebuild engines I was taught it was okay to re-use bearings as long as they were in spec and went back to the same journal on the crankshaft as they have become a matched set. Same with lifters and cam lobes on a V8 gas engine. Since the bearings have worn some to become matched to the crank it would not be a good idea to use used bearings on a different crankshaft altogether.

But that's what I was taught. Have I tried it first hand to see if it really makes a difference? No, afraid not. :)

Ruppster

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use some Plastigage and check the wear patterns.

You have enough time on your hands that if it does crapout then you can put in new ones.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would guess the first thing to do would be get some plasti-gauge strips and check the tolerances on the used bearings.

edit ; warthog beat me to it

466Navastar

keep all the bearing tops and bottoms on the same journals as they were on in the old motor ....if they arent showing copper and arent grooved - on a grooved crank journal - why not try....plasti-gauge

although its a lot of work to get back and change them later......unless the crank is perfect- and unless you are really on a shoe string budget ---the right thing would be to take the crank in and get it turned and polished and replace all the bearings - crank and rods.....then you can pretty much forget about it for as long as you own it.....

it really dollars and cents and how much you hate the thought of pulling a motor again....

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's interesting, a LDS motor with a cracked crank is sitting in my pole barn. What are the odds? Want to come fix it?

Westech

CPL
If you use the bearings that come with the crank go for it. Just make sure you keep them in the SAME place. you mix them up there good as gone.

Should have called me first and saved a post ya noob.

I thought I was on "someones" ignore list.. guess not. So i will be waiting on HOW ITS A BAD IDEA AND THE WORLD WILL END response.

Love Westy

Last edited by a moderator:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am pretty sure there were some on ebay under M35A2.

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, along with the sandblaster, compressor, and generator motors. Maybe I should rename the barn Gimpy north? One of these days we'll get'er done.

Get the crankshaft out of the truck yet?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bearings are generally cheap for engines. I've seen brearings for other engines of similar size for less than $200. I'd call around to the usual sources and price a set. Unless they are crazy high for some reason, I would replace them. If it was the same crank I wouldn't be too worried about it but with a different crank I'd be afraid it may cause problems.

Billy Bobbed

I have been grinding crankshafts for over 25 years,their is nothing wrong with reusing bearings as long as you keep the bearings that came off that rod or main together and they are in good shape.Just remember that bearing does not touch the crankshaft.The film of oil then oil pressure keeps it from touching the crank.I have people bring me bearings that have been in an engine with 150k or more miles that look like new.I do alot of antique tractor puller cranks that cant get new bearings so I have to try and keep the rods or mains the size it is or weld it back to the size bearings they can get or have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks