• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel bearings

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For that price, I'll go with new. I didn't see rod bearings there though, wondering about them too.

On a side note, when I pulled this crank out, some of the bolts holding the conn. rods were TIGHT, others, not so much. If I were to use thread lock on the conn. rod bolts, you think I should go with reduced torque values(as in wet vs. dry)? I think the next time I have my oil pan dropped, I will be checking the torque on those bolts.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No way would I do all that work without doing rod and main bearings. If ARP makes fasteners that are compatible with the rods I'd probably go ahead and replace them to.

I guess if I were doing all that I'd go ahead and put pistons and liners in it.

Wait....... somehow I feel the need to go look up "mission creep"............ BBL

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The motors have been swapped. The motor with the busted crank is sitting at Stretch's in a can. If it wasn't an LDS, I prolly wouldn't fix it. Turns out the motor the replacement crank came from has .10 stamped on it for the mains, guess my $75 std bearing kit from Saturn is out. Time to call George and see what he has to say.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was on the path of getting ARP to make rod bolts, but they need a actual example to make them from...

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The number one cause of a broken crank, if broken near the center main, is a bad harmonic balancer. They are to be warmed before installing on the crank to make fitment easier, but if warmed too much, the rubber strip in them is degraded, leading to it not damping right, The result is undamped harmonics in the crank that lead to broken cranks. Be sure to replace the harmonic balancer with a known good one on any engine that broke a crank!!
Used bearings are OK if going back on the same locations and plasti-gaging in tolerance. Also check the crank journals with a mike for correct tolerance,. Also check for taper from one side of the journal to the other. Often a close study of any wear pattern on the bearing at a given crank location will tell you if there is a crank journal problem. These cranks are very hard, and seldom is wear beyond tolerance if they have been treated right by the owning organization.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks