• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

multifuel dependabilty

ARDUECE

these engines still amaze me. i bought 5 trucks from gsa for parts. pull one up to the shop yesterday to swap the hardtop to a complete truck i have for sale. while it was there i decided to see if it runs. hook the slave cable to it no radiator/fan. spun over about 5 time and fired right up!!!. let it run a few and shut it down. today went to put it back in line and grab another pulled it up the hill and after about 20 feet i told my buddy to dump the clutch and the same. fired right up and ran like a champ. 3rd truck same thing!!! 4th truck doesnt have tranny in it or flywheel so wont find out about it for a while and gonna try 5th truck mon. this wouldnt be abnormal in most case but these trucks had to have been sitting for at least 2-3 years maybe more judging by the size of the wasp nest in them and that they had small trees growing up thru them. got 3 non turbos one d and one c. i think 11,000 was the highest mileage. make ya feel good when the black smoke rolls out for the first time in a while!!!!

TexAndy

Amen.

I've recovered or helped recover 6 or 7 deuces now and all but one was driveable. The one that wasn't just had a varnished up throttle. But the engine ran just fine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, the LDS in my deuce sat in a yard for many years and had the air compressor off for who knows how long. We dropped the oil pan to look at the crank and roughly check the bearings, all looked good. So we put in new oil filters, 5gal of new oil, and replaced the oil pressure sending unit with an actual pressure gauge. When we turned it over to check oil pressure, it started up on the third turn over! I don't think I have ever seen Stretch's eyes THAT big before. I know I was scared SH!TLESS, HA! That motor is the one oin my dropside truck and I have driven it everywhere. Love 'em.

emr

Needed a motor , found 2 in the weeds at a road dept, had been there in the back layin in the weeds for thirty plus years, the older fellow said the non turbo ran good when he laid it there and the turbo has a head gasket problem, 200 bucks, so I pulled em home and put in the one he said ran, and she fired right up and so fast, and 4 years later still roaring away:beer:

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, the LDS in my deuce sat in a yard for many years and had the air compressor off for who knows how long. We dropped the oil pan to look at the crank and roughly check the bearings, all looked good. So we put in new oil filters, 5gal of new oil, and replaced the oil pressure sending unit with an actual pressure gauge. When we turned it over to check oil pressure, it started up on the third turn over! I don't think I have ever seen Stretch's eyes THAT big before. I know I was scared SH!TLESS, HA! That motor is the one oin my dropside truck and I have driven it everywhere. Love 'em.
Is that truck in your avatar a drop side or droped on it's side.

tm america

Is that truck in your avatar a drop side or droped on it's side.
this is to funny guess gimp has a new name for his truck now?:driver:i am a big multifuel lover to .i want to put one in my dodge but i think it will kill the front axle since it's just a 1500. but at least i would be getting better mpg than i do now:smile: Kind of crazy i get 12-14 with the deuce and only get 10-11 with the dodge?and it's free to drive the deuce what's not to love

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, my first GSA recovery deuce sat two years minimum and was marked "Doesnt Run". Gave her a jump and in three cycles she was good, later I found out she only cranked on half her pistons (fuel line was stolen). :doh: I have a new level of respect for these engines today.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
11,000 was the highest mileage. make ya feel good when the black smoke rolls out for the first time in a while!!!!
Mine had >34000 miles on it, 17,000 highway miles on road trips, and was still running great with lots of oil pressure (30 at idle and 60 at speed) when I sold it. If the engines have been taken care of, there is no reason they cannot last.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks