• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel engine filter interchange chart

Monster Man

was looking over some MVM back issues, and way back in #60 this helpful article popped up. Too bad there is no MVM article database anywhere, but until then I'll have to scan items I find interesting :) I posted it in the Deuce Tricks and Tips thread that is stickied at the top of this forum, hope it helps

Deuce-bigalo

I have a stupid question - I understand the premiss of 'Multi-Fuel', however does that literally mean you can put ANYTHING in the fuel tank and the truck will run off of it? Diesel, Gas, Lantern Fuel etc? Or, does something specifically have to be done to the engine to prepare it for something different than Diesel?

Just curious - I have seen some folks say they have converted to just diesel - what does THAT mean?

Thanks!

John

rdixiemiller

The multifuel engine was designed to burn diesel. It will, with no adjustments, burn kerosene (jet fuel), or gasoline. It does not like gasoline, but it can use it. The engines will also burn a mixture of the above. They have a fuel density compensator that adjusts for the differing fuels. Some of the guys are experimenting with bio-diesel (used french fry grease) mixtures, also used motor oil mixtures.
To convert to straight diesel, I believe the fuel density compensator is bypassed, and nothing else is done.
Look in the multifuel operators manual, it lists the different fuels.

Monster Man

bills79jeep said:
Hey MM, where did you get the cool pic of the deuce driver in your signature??
I should have mentioned- the article I got that form is required reading for ANY deuce owner: head over to www.IdahoMotorPool.com and download the PS28 article at the bottom. Also while you're there browse aorund [thumbzup] t's from PS Magazine, a preventive maintenance journal sent to the troops to keep everything in top shape. There's also a bunch of reprints in older MV magazines

Monster Man

Deuce-bigalo said:
I have a stupid question - I understand the premiss of 'Multi-Fuel', however does that literally mean you can put ANYTHING in the fuel tank and the truck will run off of it? Diesel, Gas, Lantern Fuel etc? Or, does something specifically have to be done to the engine to prepare it for something different than Diesel?

Just curious - I have seen some folks say they have converted to just diesel - what does THAT mean?

Thanks!

John
not really anything- but most anything flammable. However, you should never try to run the truck off pure gasoline, kerosine, alcohol, or anything else, always cut it with diesel. I am not sure I would even run straight biodiesel. A warning plate on the dash advises not to use aviation grade fuel, but I bet its been done. In times of war supplies are scarce, so even water could be used in an absolute emergency, but it's best to run on diesel. Hell, I've even ran a Chevy 350 on a mixture of water, fuel line antifreeze, carb cleaner, and a bit of gasoline. It got 30 miles into town to get gasoline, and prevented me from being stranded in the middle of Toyabe.
The fuel density compensator is what makes it run somewhat correctly on other fuels, but this compensator isn't always accurate, and is inefficient when running straight diesel. So, to simplify things and get better mileage many owners bypass that to convert to straight diesel. Without the compensator you can't run any other fuels.

da_sgt

MM; Thats a interesting chart [thumbzup] Bryan is a friend of mine, he never mentioned that chart, most likely because he's done with the "big" trucks. I buy M37 parts from him. Always a treat to go visit with him :cool: He's the guy that built the 6x6 M37. I just picked up some wheels he makes for the M37 so I can run a 9.00x20.00 NDT on it [thumbzup]

Monster Man

very cool, it's a small world, huh? I rememeber that 6x, it's sweet!
I should also note- water is bad for the engine (REAL bad), I acknowledge that, but desperate times call for desperate measures :yeah:

Longhunter7

Deuce Drivers,

A word of caution is needed here! :shocked:

The list does not have a cross reference for the primary fuel filter! :devil:

The filters for the primary filter housing are not the same as the secondary and final filters! :nono:

MVtrucker

I did not reference the chart, so some of this might be a repeat:
Fuel (2) on side of engine: Fram C1175PL or NAPA Gold 3512
Primary filter on frame, under alternator: NAPA 3511 works and the
gasket fits. The center hole is large, but they still work. I’ve seen the large hole in NOS surplus filters, so the military must use them, too.
Gasket on secondary & final does not fit. Use NAPA #5070 gaskets. (These two filters are mounted on side of engine)
The gaskets in the NAPA & Fram fuel filters are too small for the two filters mounted on the engine. There is a small countersunk rubber gasket under the bolt heads, too. None of these come with the civilian NAPA 3511 or Fram filters.
When servicing fuel filters take care not to air bound system. When
new filters are installed, bleed via the special bleeder on top of the
engine mounted filter assembly. Open it and turn the accessory switch
on to run the pump. The air will purge.

Monster Man

n3uka said:

get better mileage

How much does the mileage increase with the compensator bypassed?

Thanks
never seen a figure, but mine is diesel only, and for the trip home with all axles in and front hubs engaged I managed 9.5, with axles out and front hubs off around town in lots of traffic I think I'm getting 10+ (haven't done a real precise measurement). Not good, but significantly better than figures I've seen other owners post.

bills79jeep

I don't know diesel motors all that well, so this may be a stupid question. I have seen a lot of posts about fuel filters and bleeding the fuel lines. How often is it recomended that the filters be changed? Are all diesels that way?

Monster Man

bills79jeep said:
I don't know diesel motors all that well, so this may be a stupid question. I have seen a lot of posts about fuel filters and bleeding the fuel lines. How often is it recomended that the filters be changed? Are all diesels that way?
they should be cleaned or changed at least, I'd say, every couple thousand miles. There are three on the deuce, and for good reason. If even a speck of dust gets in the injection pump it is destroyed. When rebuilding, it's done in a dust free room with rubber gloves and the whole bit

the beleeding should only need to be done when the filters are changed

rdixiemiller

When I worked on the boats, we changed filters every month, about every 300 hours. We had to fight algea in the fuel tanks, otherwise we could go 2 months with no problems (8V-53 Detroits)