• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel engines in shipping containers

JJensen

I've been searching for a replacement engine for my truck that lost a rod on the trip home. I have found a guy that has 18 "cans" or containers. All of them supposedly have engines. He bought all of them a while back, and has never opened them. Anyway, he said that I could take my pick of any one of them for $600. The catch is that he doesn't want to open each one of them for me to look at all of them. He said that we could open 3 or 4.

So, is there a way to know what the condition is of the engine in the container without opening it? Is there a way to decode the tag to determine if there could possibly be a fresh engine in one of the cans?

I am considering going through the engine before it goes in the truck. I haven't researched it much on here, but I planned of having the rotating assembly balanced at the shop that does my race engines. I was also going to put in new rod bolts, or find a replacement ARP (if they can cross something).

The guy that owns all of these engines said that you never know what you are getting. He said some are ready to install, others may have an oil leak, and some may not run.

I hope that this hasn't been covered before. I searched many different ways, and googled it.

Thank you!

BLK HMMWV

I heard tell that the tag on the outside of the can doesn't always match whats inside.
Sometimes the old engine is put back into the can when they repower a vehicle.
As to the actual codes on the can I'm of no help.
BH

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't open any that don't say LDS! Just kidding. I'd look for that first, then LDT. No way to tell till you start it up. Feel free to call if you need info on starting one in the can.

Flyingvan911

Be careful man. It might be worth spending more for an engine you know (the owner knows) will run such as a depot rebuilt one or a running take out. It sounds like this guy wants you to play the lottery. Try to get an LDS. They have more power and better acceleration. I have one and love it.

Could you post the results of the balancing? I know lots of us would like to know what your engine shop finds. Good idea looking through the engine before install. Maybe buy and install a set of the new style head gaskets. They are stronger.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How far is this guy from KC MO? Are you planning a vacation to sunny S Fla anytime soon?

oddshot

I was also going to put in new rod bolts, or find a replacement ARP (if they can cross something).
About new rod bolts ... you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...ey-could-loan-me-know-their-measurements.html

As for head gaskets ... I'm pretty sure I saw a set of the new type offered on the classified thread for about $80 this past week.

update ...Try this:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=3718

Make sure to tell us how you make out.

oddshot

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alot of the engines that were surplused out several years ago are takeouts. Only recently have they been dumping new/rebuilt engines in any numbers.

If it's a take out, you've got to wonder why they pulled the engine out of the truck. Granted, they sometimes pull engines for only a minor problem but you never know until you run it.

JJensen

DANG! You guys are fast. Thank you!

Southdave, I searched for "starting one in the can" and couldn't find the thread. I'll search til I find it.

Gimpy, I appreciate the previous tech support over the phone. I'll call you if I have some questions.

Flyingvan, I kind of agree. He said that if I got a bad one he would make it right. I've seen some engines on Ebay that were supposedly fresh rebuilds, never out of the can. I was hoping to find a code or something that would indicate what the condition of the engine was.

Recovry, he is close to KC. I'm not coming to FL any time soon. I do have a friend that runs 2 semi's all over the US. He could probably come that way. What do you have? :D

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

How close to KC? I travel alot but I might be able to help. Do you/the seller have a way to get the engine in and out of the deuce. The engines in a can weight over 3,00 lbs if my memory is right.

JJensen

How close to KC? I travel alot but I might be able to help. Do you/the seller have a way to get the engine in and out of the deuce. The engines in a can weight over 3,00 lbs if my memory is right.
He has equipment for us to move the cans around.

I have a bobcat to take the engine out, and put the new engine back in.

Help is always appreciated. I'm not sure when I'm going to get started on the engine swap. I will probably wait to take out the junk engine until I have a new one ready to go in. So it will be a few weeks for sure.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
300 lbs? you mean 3,000 lbs, but i doubt they are that much. close though. i would not think a bobcat would remove one from a truck, the engine is at least 1400 and the reach is gonna be a problem.

tom

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've removed several engine and trans together and it was about all a 6,000lb forklift wanted (due to the lift point being so far out). If you're going to use a bobcat it better be a big one. I know our New Holland LS170 won't do it.

JJensen

I know the engine will be heavy , but this one has a lift capacity of 3800#'s and a tipping capacity of 7600#'s. This one also has a radial lift path instead of a vertical lift path, which makes it ideal for taking an engine out of a truck. We used it a few months ago to take a Cummins out of a W900 Kenworth.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an engine in the can. Was last run 2 years ago when I pulled it from the truck. The turbo and starter are gone now but I can borrow those parts from another engine and start this thing again if you end up needing it. I'm in the West Palm area.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an engine in the can. Was last run 2 years ago when I pulled it from the truck. The turbo and starter are gone now but I can borrow those parts from another engine and start this thing again if you end up needing it. I'm in the West Palm area.
Kenny, remember that I have a turbo of yours here, let me know if/when you need it...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, remember that I have a turbo of yours here, let me know if/when you need it...
That one is worn from what Brandon told me. Hold on to it Bjorn, I'm going to wait until you hand it to me personally. I have to bribe you into coming to one of these events somehow. LOL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. I meant 3,000 pounds. I read somewhere on here a long time ago that an engine and can were that heavy. I have no first hand experience.
The words you read are accurate. Depending what was taken off (or not) it will tip the scales at 3000#. You should have seen the lot of us moving one from the back of one deuce to the back of another on some crafty machine dollies provided by wreckerman. I'm sure there are pics of the shenanigans at the 2008 GA Rally multimedia thread.

Yup, here it is. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ga-rally/26931-2008-ga-rally-multimedia-thread-2.html#post281774

Last edited: