• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel engines in shipping containers

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One possible way to tell if the engine is new, is to look at the bolts holding the top and bottom of the can together (there are 38 of them, should be grade 8, sometimes grade 5). If the paint is undisturbed on the bolts and nuts, the engine is probably new. that's because the can has never been opened. Another fairly easy way to test is to get a pressure reading or look for the moisture indicator. If it shows any trace of moisture inside, or if there is no pressure (should be 5 to 7 pounds of dry nitrogen), it has probably been opened, and likely has a swapped engine inside. Likewise, if all 38 bolts are not there, it has definitely been opened. And opened in service means an engine swap!2cents

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bolt heads on the top usually mean it's new. Nuts on top usually mean it's unserviceable. That was the rule in Fort Hood when I was there...

jasonjc

The ONLY why too know is to put YOUR eyes and hands on the engine. Any thing can and will happen to the can. I looked at one that had a rebuild engine in it BUT the guy open the can then did not close it right. It was a big hunk of rusted junk, the can 8-10" of water in the bottom. If the guy say and will make it right go for it. I see his point not wanting to open each can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks