• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel Engines

Blood_of_Tyrants

Okay, I know that you can run pretty much any flammable liquid that you can find, but is there a recommendation of what the max portions of each you can use?

Also, I believe that I correctly interpreted the acronym "UMO" to be used motor oil. If I am correct, is there any type of filter that should be used before it is added to the fuel mixture?

Also, what is the strangest thing you have burned iin your multifuel engine?

acetomatoco

remember that most of the MF which are sold these days have the fuel density compensator disabled and are set for Diesel #2 only...other fuels even the the original state are for limited use only...so gasoline and Vitalis should only be used in emergency situations... Some folks use veggie oil and other things... yes you should filter your UEO and only use about 10 percent..

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a pretty good thread here somewhere where some of the smart guys really covered this in depth........... Try a search, they even had a breakdown of the stuff in UEO.

rgregj

About the weird stuff to burn. Mine has been running on contaminated jet (that the airport loves to give me since they have to pay to have it hauled off) a for over a year. All I do is add a quart of marvel mystery oil at each fill up. So far so good.

jasonjc

Re: RE: Multifuel Engines

rgregj said:
About the weird stuff to burn. Mine has been running on contaminated jet (that the airport loves to give me since they have to pay to have it hauled off) a for over a year. All I do is add a quart of marvel mystery oil at each fill up. So far so good.
That's what the military uses in evey thing. Well not contaminated, but jet fuel, JP-8 when I was in.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Multifuel Engines

Aint free dieselgas great??!! I get the same thing from my place of employment thanks to FedEx, USF and Ryder! A bit of gas in with diesel works great.

dmetalmiki

RE: Re: RE: Multifuel Engines

over 10 years running."contam" .NO PROBS in 5 trucks..usually one flat hauling one other to long distance shows. allways add 1 gallon of el-cheapo oil to 50 galls contam. whatever the ratio recieved.

Floyd

Contaminated fuel is a bit of a misnomer. What a good deal you guys have going (free fuel). Anytime an aircraft is defueled the fuel is considered contaminated, so a super deal.

Floyd

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing about switching from Diesel to JP-8/Jet fuel... Jet fuel will clean out your fuel system, and clog your filters with all the gunk the new stuff frees up.. Not a big deal, just have spare filters onhand and change them durring the first few tanks of the new stuff.

houdel

"UEO" is often referred to as "WMO", Waste Motor Oil. Check out the "Alternative Fuels" forum for lots more info. Unfortunately, no one to date has done a "scientific" study of mixtures of various alternative fuels, but there is plenty of empirical data of what members have used with (and without) success.

FreightTrain

Banned
I have run straight 87octane in my rig since I bypassed my FDC and noticed no change other than just a little more smoke.EGTs were about the same,power was about the same.Little louder but not much.

houdel

FreightTrain said:
I have run straight 87 octane in my rig since I bypassed my FDC and noticed no change other than just a little more smoke. EGTs were about the same,power was about the same. Little louder but not much.
Bypassing the FDC does not affect your multifuel capability. The multifuel is still a multifuel, with or without the FDC bypassed or not. All the FDC does is automatically compensate for the fuel's heat content (read: relative power) so a constant throttle position results in the same engine power output, regardless of the fuel or mixture of fuels being used. Of course, you can achieve the same compensation manually with your right foot!

Freightrain, I'd have to highly recommend AGAINST running straight gasoline in your engine, that is a recipe for trouble! The octane is too high, the cetane is too low, and gasoline is NOT providing adequate lubrication to your expensive injection pump. The 20 or 30 cents per gallon you are saving over gasoline is going to be be far surpassed by the cost of engine repairs in the not too distant future.

The -10 TMs recommend using diesel fuel whenever possible, with Alternative I fuels (which includes commercial gasoline) to be used only when the primary fuel (diesel) is not available. Read: Potential damage to IP and/or pistons!

stancanpara

I've been running diesel, gasoline, used motor oil, new motor oil (given to me free in 50 gal drums) vegetable oil (see "new motor oil", Kerosene and gasoline in my Tonkas (Deuces) for a couple of years with NO problems so far. My main Tonka runs down the road at 55 to 65 MPh and hums like a top! :D

I pull my filters and check every spring and have had no problems so far! :lol:

I havn't run ANY one fuel so I don't know about the differences but other than a "little" more smoke (which I like) with the oil, there is no noticable difference in performance or sounds... :D

These things are GREAT tonka toys!!! :D

Cheers!

Stan