• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel will not start, please help.

Rodger

I have tried to use the troubleshooting books, but have not solved the problem.
Any help would be appreciated. I am all out of ideas.

My M109 multifuel made its first long trip and died when it got home in my driveway.

The fuel pump had stopped making noise a while ago, but the truck ran anyway. There was a reduction in power, but not enough to keep me from driving.

It did run hot (220 and briefly more) going up the mountains on a 90 degree + day.

I removed the fuel tank to change the fuel pump (necessary on an M109) and found the fuse was the fuel pump problem. Replaced fuse and reinstalled the tank. All wires and hoses are connected. Air is now in the fuel line.

The truck cranked well, but did not start.

The fuel shut off valve appears to be working properly.

I removed the fuel line into the Injection pump, there is good fuel flow into the Injection pump, so I know the filters are good.

I removed the fuel return line from the injector closest to the front of the truck and cranked the starter no fuel came out. But I heard a gurgling sound.

I removed a fuel line into an injector, cranked the starter, fuel came out.
I did this with and without my foot on the accelerator. Could not tell if there was any difference in fuel. How much fuel should come out?

There is a small amount of fuel dripping from the Injection pump on the driver’s side.
I can not tell where it is leaking from.

There appears to be no engine oil in the coolant or coolant in the engine oil.

Because it shut itself off I am concerned about the turbo. But I was driving slowly close to home and the fins can be spun by hand with no feeling or resistance. ( I removed the air intake line to check)

The dirty air filter warning is green. I removed the mushroom and looked at the air filter. It is clean.

I opened the air intake hose and sprayed in five seconds or ether. The truck ran on the ether, but did not continue to run.

Please help
Rodger

Woodsplinter

Did you bleed the fuel system using the bleeder valves on top of the secondary/ final fuel filter? Procedure is in the TM's.
Hope this helps!

Rodger

I have most of the TM's printed and in the truck, I just could not fined the right one. Thank you Woodsplinter. right now the batteries are recharging. I will try later and post results.

thank you All
Rodger

gungearz

Hey Roger, I Don't know if you want to try this, its kinda iffy on messing up seals and bursting lines if they're not good but my buddy had the same exact problem. His was just a cargo deuce and fortunately we didn't have to drop the tank but his problem was the pump. After I swapped out the pump, hit the accessory switch, heard the new pump roar, and just sat there and cranked all day till the batteries were dead. He charged them overnight and tried it again that Sunday afrternoon but this time he insisted on pressurizing the tank to give the fuel alittle boost. So he rigged up a cover to fit over the filler hole, grabbed the air line and pressurized the tank. When he told me to start cranking the motor, I did and it fired right up. He still never had a problem with it to this day. I commented on the things he could've blew but he said "If it was going to go. I'd rather it go in my driveway, then out on the road"....

Heavysteven

Here is a video going over the bleeding process after removing the fuel pump.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1FRVangtoQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Rodger

hello All

It is running. I drained and bled the filters. Then bled the injectors. Then re bled the secondary filter.
It needed a shot of ether and then my foot to adjust the idle, but after a while it ran fine.

I did fine a fuel leak that appears to be under the direction arrow plate on the injection pump.

Thank you all
Rodger