• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Munster Mobile high top M939s - Gunner platform & other info

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

I have one of the early prototype M939A2s with the high top roll bar / gun mount setup.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?108888-M923-with-roll-cage-and-tall-hardtop

It has the 3500SP Allison push button transmission. Supposedly this was in the Oshkosh MRAP also. It only has 4 of the "6 gears" available. I talked with an Allison dealer and her looked up the transmission build specs and said it looks like the "servos or???" in the bottom of the transmission for the 5th & 6th gear were not installed. Not sure what it would take to put 5th gear into working order other than a trip to the Allison dealer and some$$$. Question does the Oshkosh MRAP have 6 gears available? Right now with the 4 gears enabled it cruises at 60 much like a normal 939

Also mine does not have the center platform between the seats. I need some dimensions to make one or if someone is removing one from a truck that would be better. Other items are the dash has tape on everything and permanent marker identifying what the lights and gauges are for. Trying to see what some of the differences are in my truck and the "production" truck / kit are. pictures and related anyone..

THANKS!

Rifleman

Even if your are able to install the extra gears i would be careful about driving your truck over 60 MPH. The reason i say that is due to the speed rating of the tires on our trucks. Most of our tires are speed limited depending on their size from 55 to 65 MPH, and let me tell you having a blow on a steering tire at 55 MPH in your truck is an experience that you won't soon forget, ask me, i had it happen.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I mentioned to you and Matt when you were here I can't imagine what it would take to push that thing through the air. Aerodynamic is not a word associated with an MV to begin with and yours just screams air dam.

Someone said the 3500 Allison was used in some buses. Maybe you can find one in a yard with all 6 speeds and swap it.

Post some pics of your road trip and the two new toys.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think I mentioned to you and Matt when you were here I can't imagine what it would take to push that thing through the air. Aerodynamic is not a word associated with an MV to begin with and yours just screams air dam.

Someone said the 3500 Allison was used in some buses. Maybe you can find one in a yard with all 6 speeds and swap it.

Post some pics of your road trip and the two new toys.

If I can make a m819 FLY, you can make your lite weight FLY, 10/2010 I was inducted into the SS Air Force.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks