• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mutt advice before I pull the trigger, help me out mutt guys!

Aerialfred

One of the members on here is beginning to make new panels. There ARE parts to be had. You just need to think about how much work you want to do, and there are places which specialize in that sort of thing, rebuilding. The rear ends DO make a fair amount of noise. They can easily be rebuilt, but they STILL make a lot of noise. 151s are a fun vehicle. You can outfit them in a lot of ways, such as radios, ROPS kits, and other equipment. I agree with Renodogs, if you can look around in dryer areas or look for a barn find ( which is what I did ) you can possibly find a better one. But, if you have the fever bad enough, and the spare cash and time, that one can be fixed. I prefer an uncut one, but if the reweld was done with care there should be no problem. You can always do it over. I love my 151A1.

elkhtr

One of the members on here is beginning to make new panels. There ARE parts to be had. You just need to think about how much work you want to do, and there are places which specialize in that sort of thing, rebuilding. The rear ends DO make a fair amount of noise. They can easily be rebuilt, but they STILL make a lot of noise. 151s are a fun vehicle. You can outfit them in a lot of ways, such as radios, ROPS kits, and other equipment. I agree with Renodogs, if you can look around in dryer areas or look for a barn find ( which is what I did ) you can possibly find a better one. But, if you have the fever bad enough, and the spare cash and time, that one can be fixed. I prefer an uncut one, but if the reweld was done with care there should be no problem. You can always do it over. I love my 151A1.
Supposedly this one sat for 25 years in a barn, dont want to hire that roofer.

elkhtr

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Going to look at it tomorrow morning.
Barring some major rust out in the undercarriage it will probably follow me home.

Whiterabbit

I'd buy it!
Very nice panels are being made by Guy but from the pics you really don't need any! A lil' rust hole in the drivers floorboard needs a patch. Looks like the cut was at the forward foot well, down past the trans and across. Very odd cut and probably saved it from being an inch short M151 when folks overlapped the cut edges and welded them back together.
If you are looking for a fun military vehicle that's easy to live with then the M151A2 is it! It was the height of military jeep development and it was only finally replaced by the obese Hmmwv. It's the best! (biased opinion) Hehe
Crawl under it and check the main supports, drive it up and down the street if it's good I'd pull the trigger. An uncut A2 will set you back twice that much and will probably need panels replaced also. My A2 had some holes in it but now it's a MV of the month here and my wife's offroad trail riding, back woods camping, parade driving pride n joy. The folks here and over at G838 will give you sound advice and help you as much as they can with it naturally.
Keep us updated!

elkhtr

I'd buy it!
Very nice panels are being made by Guy but from the pics you really don't need any! A lil' rust hole in the drivers floorboard needs a patch. Looks like the cut was at the forward foot well, down past the trans and across. Very odd cut and probably saved it from being an inch short M151 when folks overlapped the cut edges and welded them back together.
If you are looking for a fun military vehicle that's easy to live with then the M151A2 is it! It was the height of military jeep development and it was only finally replaced by the obese Hmmwv. It's the best! (biased opinion) Hehe
Crawl under it and check the main supports, drive it up and down the street if it's good I'd pull the trigger. An uncut A2 will set you back twice that much and will probably need panels replaced also. My A2 had some holes in it but now it's a MV of the month here and my wife's offroad trail riding, back woods camping, parade driving pride n joy. The folks here and over at G838 will give you sound advice and help you as much as they can with it naturally.
Keep us updated!
Will do!
Funny thing is my wife didn't even flinch when I told her about it.
I wonder if she intends to commandeer it.;)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good to me uncut means I believe that no one has cut into the body it is the way the factory made it.
I would buy it if I had the cash
Mutts were first released whole, then they had to be demilled. The first approved demil process was to cut them in half. Later the next process was to cut in quarters. When that didn't work they had to be run over with a tank. I would buy a cut mutt (in half) depending on the quality of the reweld job. In fact, I have thought of buying a M151A2 in WI that was run over by a tank but they were all grouped together and the center one recieved very minor damage. (maybe i'll get it and drag it to the GA rally!)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I'm old enough to have driven them in active service while I was in Germany (mid 70's). Later I drove them when I was in the Tennessee National Guard (early 80's). We convoyed in them from Crossville, TN to Fort Stewart and back for Annual Training one year.
They are peppy little trucks but they can be a widow maker if you don't respect that independent suspension. There were a lot of soldiers killed in them in roll over accidents. Toward the end of their service life they were retro-fitted with ROPS cages but shortly after that they all were surplussed out.
That sounds like a pretty good price for one and parts are still readily available.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You haven't bought that thing yet? If it was only closer...... The pictures look good, parts are avalaible and they're easy to work on.

elkhtr

You haven't bought that thing yet? If it was only closer...... The pictures look good, parts are avalaible and they're easy to work on.
Oh the things that working gets in the way of.
Don't despair, through the wonders of paypal I have a deposit on it.

Whiterabbit

"Funny thing is my wife didn't even flinch when I told her about it.
I wonder if she intends to commandeer it.:wink:"

That's what happened to mine!
But that gives me the excuse to get another A2. :mrgreen:
They do oversteer a good bit but unless you're doing a Dukes of Hazard driving impersonation I think they're like any off road jeep, drive with care. The A2 did handle better than the earlier versions due to the redesigned trailing arm rear suspension vs the older A arm rear suspension and 4 wheel independent suspension kicks butt off road.
These little jeeps in good shape are getting scarce.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal, I was getting nervous.. now you're committed to a lot of pictures when you get it home.

Flyingvan911

I'd buy it. The body it in great shape compared to most unrestored Mutts. The price is great! Parts are not that hard to get since most Mutts were squashed but the parts were sold for surplus.

elkhtr

Thanks to all.
I am hearing a lot of what I was hoping for, parts availibility, etc.
will take some pics tomorrow on the recovery if it all checks out.

poppop

If it were close to me I would snap it up for that price. I have owned one in worse shape than that one for years and really enjoy it. Parts are easy to get and lpcoating here is making great panels for them. Mine is now sporting an NOS engine I got off e-bay for $206.00 delivered. The guy had three and I got them all. Sold one and still have one looking for a good body to put it in.

elkhtr

If it were close to me I would snap it up for that price. I have owned one in worse shape than that one for years and really enjoy it. Parts are easy to get and lpcoating here is making great panels for them. Mine is now sporting an NOS engine I got off e-bay for $206.00 delivered. The guy had three and I got them all. Sold one and still have one looking for a good body to put it in.
I am not that kind of lucky, new engine for 206.00, I also would have bought all three.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks