• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Insurance in NJ .... grrrrrrr!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONTOS66

The GOOD news is: I now have an M1028 Shelter Carrier with M250 Electronic Equipment Shelter, a former RATT Rig minus the radios, modems, etc.

The bad news is that my current insurance carrier won't insure it. Initially the phone clerk said that the vin was no good. I explained that it was former military equipment, she put me on hold and spoke with an underwriter. It was then determined that the vehicle was "postal" (I don't recall the exact wording - I was busy going postal) and they could not insure it.

Anyone have suggestions for insurance companies that will cover this equipment and are available in New Jersey?

I'll do a photo spread on the truck later as I start working on it. Right now I'm working on the M116A1 pioneer trailer and will also do photos on it as it progresses.

Anyway, input would be welcome I want to get this insured so I can get it registered, inspected and on the road on occasion - would be pretty neat when complete with the trailer in tow.

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

just tell them its a D30 (government K30) and that you have a camper in the bed.

They have to call in to figure out the VIN, but it will be validated. I currently have AIG, call 1-888-267-4244 and tell them what you have. They covered mine no questions asked.

jeli

Your truck is too new. I just went with Continental Western but it has to be 30 years or older. Couldn't beat $83.00 per year including the ability to drive it to work etc. No restrictions except no hauling.

AJMBLAZER

We're with State Farm. The VIN has given them trouble but it reads right. I think it's just the lack of "history" for it.
Made - 1986
Registered WI - 2006
Registered MI - 2006
etc

My insurance company treats it as a 1986 Chevy K30 since that's what it is. I do have a special sort of plan showing it as a "restored vehicle" so it's insured for a bit more than the book value of a '86 K30 (probably about $125.45 by the bean counter's tally). If anything ever happens I'll get more than I paid for it back. The only hard part about that was getting the people at State Farm to wrap their minds around the fact that people restore vehicles other than Camaros, Chargers, and Mustangs. They wanted pictures to show it was actually in nice/solid shape.
One nice thing is parts are cheap for these so their insurance rating is low. I have it listed as an occasionally driven vehicle (less than 8k a year) and even with full insurance it's monthly payment is less than the PLPD on my '96 Geo Tracker convertible DD.

No.2Diesel

As recommended by Chris S. and others (thank you), My brother went with Gulfway historical insurance and it was $290 a year for his M819. No problems, no hassles, and the only restriction is "not to be used as daily transportation." you can even haul stuff. I would also like to say that they processed his application quickly and faxed a temporary card to the DMV office at the time of registration.

Related story of grief: We should have known that the original auction bill of sale from the County Police was trouble, listing only the first five digits of the trucks VIN then "..." When attempting to register, the DMV "Mental Cripples" as well as the "Beef Stews" and the "Rusty Nails" :wink: will not accept it thus no registration. We have to bypass the guy who bought it from the County and go to the police directly and have the bill of sale re-written and produce a pencil trace of the VIN numbers on the data plate.

The truck was inspected before attempted registration and insured so 2 out 3 ain't bad. We will do some mini convoying this weekend to the local ATHS/LIAPA show out East so a ticket for no registration will be a worst case scenario.

Good luck in your efforts ONTOS66

No.2Diesel

Update: Just got off the horn and my bro says that the Bronze will not accept Photographs, Pencil tracings, etc. They want to see the truck in person to verify the number. :? That should be fun.

FYI: The County Police Impound/Training Facility is a former BOMARC/Nike?Ajax Missle base (not sure the proper one) and all the missle sheds/silos etc. are still intact. The island is still dotted by many of these. GoogleEarth or MSN map bird's eye view it. (You can actually see the M819 in the yard if look close enough on the MSN map site :wink: )

Jersey4x4

ONTOS66 said:
The GOOD news is: I now have an M1028 Shelter Carrier with M250 Electronic Equipment Shelter, a former RATT Rig minus the radios, modems, etc.

The bad news is that my current insurance carrier won't insure it. Initially the phone clerk said that the vin was no good. I explained that it was former military equipment, she put me on hold and spoke with an underwriter. It was then determined that the vehicle was "postal" (I don't recall the exact wording - I was busy going postal) and they could not insure it.

Anyone have suggestions for insurance companies that will cover this equipment and are available in New Jersey?

I'll do a photo spread on the truck later as I start working on it. Right now I'm working on the M116A1 pioneer trailer and will also do photos on it as it progresses.

Anyway, input would be welcome I want to get this insured so I can get it registered, inspected and on the road on occasion - would be pretty neat when complete with the trailer in tow.
I have NJCURE and there was no problem with the VIN or anything else with them. I have full coverage on the M1008 and my Blazer and it is about $800.00 for the year.

The nice thing is there is no inspection required for Military or ex Military vehicles in NJ so as long as you maintain it as you should there are no problems but if the MVC gets there grubby littly paws on the VIN in an inspection it reverts back to a standard K30 forever. So in other words if it is not inspected now dont do it because it will need to be done forever. Ganns Law Books covers this in detail for the patrol officer that stops you and does not know. I have been stoped a few times out of state and had to reference the book and was fine but never stoped in state and has been almost a year.

Know all the rules, so you can break them without getting caught!

rmgill

RE: Re: MV Insurance in NJ .... grrrrrrr!!!!

Try Allstate. They insure my Ferret And Dingo. Both have 6 digit/letter hull numbers.

ONTOS66

Thanks for the input and suggestions - interestingly to (to respond to the first input from CCATLETT1984) I currently have AIG and they insured my M1009 with no problem (as a green Chevy blazer of course). But the VIN on the M1028 caused their little BURROcratic (sp is correct) sphyncters to slam into locked mode and they couldn't see (it's dark in there) that the truck was just a truck (or as Freud is quoted as saying, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" ... but he never met Bill Clinton)

:)

I'm taking a break from the project for the weekend - actually putting in OT to get extra $$ to help with unanticipated vet bills for the dog. The good news is he is okay now.

I'll review the feedback next week and create a plan of attack. Heheheheeh, just loves mess'n with them BURROcrats. Interesting input about the NJ inspection and ex-military vehicles. Will have to look that one up - too bad the M1009 already passed through the big MVC (formerly DMV) barn and got branded.

MVtrucker

Jersey,
Could you elaborate on the "no inspection required for Military or ex Military vehicles in NJ" ? I have a M1009 and M1008 here in NJ and had them inspected, once. I'd be interested in reading and possibly obtaining Ganns Law Books.
Thanks,

nf6x

Feral Engineer

Good luck on your insurance! I don't know anything about how things work in NJ, but here in CA I have my 1986 HMMWV insured by 21st Century, who also insures my daily driver. The clerk said "no" at first because their books didn't show any Hummers existing before 1993 or so (it was a lot like the sphincter-slam that you mentioned!), but with a little bit of persistence I managed to get through to their appraiser department (ick, don't try to visualize that), and they computed a rate based on a 1993 Hummer with 7 more years of depreciation. It may vary from company to company and state to state, but for unusual cases like these there may still be hope if you can get past the first line of agents who don't have the training or authority to deal with anything out of the ordinary. At least in the case of 21st Century, it seems that they have (or at least had) a department that dealt with the special cases instead of just refusing to insure them.

I'm glad to hear that your dog is OK! My youngest dog ran through a 5/16" thick sliding glass door recently, and she miraculously managed to not break her neck and just need a couple dozen stitches. Another one of my dogs is undergoing a month of daily radiation treatments for a tumor right now, but her prognosis looks good, she hasn't started having any side effects yet (and they shouldn't be too bad when the show up), and I have a good excuse to bring her to work each afternoon after I pick her up from the clinic! ;) So, I know what unexpected vet bills can be like, but they're well worth the temporary pain in the wallet to keep your furry buddy healthy!

Jersey4x4

Re: RE: Re: MV Insurance in NJ .... grrrrrrr!!!!

MVtrucker said:
Jersey,
Could you elaborate on the "no inspection required for Military or ex Military vehicles in NJ" ? I have a M1009 and M1008 here in NJ and had them inspected, once. I'd be interested in reading and possibly obtaining Ganns Law Books.
Thanks,
Ganns Law Books are standard issue to patrol officers for reference. It is like the boy scout field manual for the fuzz. There are allot of interesting things in there that most people would not know. They cost about $50.00 but well worth it.
The part about inspections is vague to say the least but it is very clear about government issued vehicles. It says "Issued" not issue so by my and cop friends of mine and by the NH trooper that stopped me that means past, present, & future. So if it was issued to the government and was never inspected it is not required, But if it has been inspected and passed it is now in the state inspection system and has been deamed safe for NJ highways VIA the NJMVC so there is no reason for it not to be reinspected. Or that is what they told me when I called the MVC about it. Now I dont know how they record it to be able to check using the NCIC system about inspections but I can say that every vehicle I ever owned since I was 17 shows up when they run my DL and sow does my CC permit which realy freaked out the NH trooper that stopped me at 2:30 in the morning on RT91 driving a fully loaded M1008 that still has all the recent markings on it from MAFB. I knew I should have just left off the licence plate? That is why he pulled me over, No tag light. He never even said anything about the 2 M16 dummys in the racks, he was more interested in finding one of the trucks for himself.

MVtrucker? I think I know you I just cant place it...hummmm

Jersey4x4

Re: RE: Re: MV Insurance in NJ .... grrrrrrr!!!!

MVtrucker said:
Jersey,
Thanks,
here is a link
http://www.gannlaw.com/OnlineStore/Main/about_product.cfm?book_code=004

I do know you... I bought a M101 off you many moons ago. It is all your fault I am now adicted to colecting military trucks :wink:

MVtrucker

RE: Re: RE: Re: MV Insurance in NJ .... grrrrrrr!!!!

Many thanks for the link; I ordered the book. I recall your coming to my place for a trailer, mainly because you wanted it to pull in off road activities with a civilian 4X4 (I think).
I passed the "mil-veh bug" on to you that I got when I purchased an old army Jeep in 1973!

jeli

A quick update since we ae talking about DMV stuff. I had every intention of having my M35 inspected by my State Trooper neighbor to get the SF97. I decided to ask the MN DMV first. With one quick phone call to the central office by the remote location I was at they said no problem. Fill out a "Statement of Fact" along with four pictures of each side plus the bill of sale. No SF97 required. Gov Liq won't be getting that $60.00!!!

MVtrucker

Jersey 4X4,
I have Gann's 2007 Edition of NJ Police Manual and have been reading it. The only exclusions to NJ motor vehicle inspections that I could find are in chapter 39:8-1. Military vehicles are not mentioned. Collector and historic vehicles are exempt, as are certain vehicles over 8500 lb. GVW. Exactly where in this book are military vehicles mentioned?
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks