• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Licensing in Michigan - What are the requirements?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumping an old thread here....

The SOS here refused to license it as a private plate. They said they could not do it because of the weight, at 13030.

The title is listed as 1976 AMC JEEP "stake truck".

What are you guys plated as? Obviously, farm plates won't help me, or you guys that are actually commercial or historic.

It seems like I have seen M35A2s on "normal" plates. What gives?
If I recall when I plated my A3, the max on regular plates was 9999 lbs. I believe you'll have to get a GVW (24K) plate, about $470 year, or Historical for $3/10yrs.
As far as Historical plates, weight is not an issue. I plated my 31K lb SGPRSMD as Historical. ($300 vs. $30).

Last edited:

malinjohn

not sure if I am in the right place.

I came across a Jeep M151 motor and transmission-anyone know what vintage that would be, and how much it might be worth?

Also, a trailer 2W 1/4 T M416. It is disassembeled as the previous owner was going to sand blast it and rebuild it. It is in excellent condition. Both items Jeep motor - tranny and trailer are in good to excellent condition.

I have pictures- new to site-not familiar with navigation or posting pictures.
John

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to the Secretary of State in Clarkston. They did not know how to put a Deuce or a M-109 in the system. So for the Deuce the title says pick up and the M-109 says shop van. Both plates were under $200.00 for the year. I had to have Doghead mail me his data plate off his Deuce cause they wanted 2 separate corroboration weights and the Technical Manual. Other than that I was good to go.:beer:

Ridgerunner

I did authentic (1970) plates on my Deuce, here in Michigan. No hassles what so ever. It cost me $30, and the plate/registration is good forever (non-expiring) Don't know why you would be getting the run around.

Heath_h49008

I brought up the point that it wasn't a stake truck with her. She said looking at the picture it wasn't a stake truck either... but she insisted that it HAD to be a commercial vehicle because it was soooooo heavy.

I pointed out that a F350 extended cab duelly weighed more than my deuce and she just looked confused.

I'm going to go back and try again with more data.

maahes

I went around and around with the SOS offices in Lansing, Mason, and Jackson, with multiple calls to the HQ office. HQ told me one thing and the offices wouldn't follow what HQ said only what they have in their books.

Basically it boiled down to get a historical plate and be limited in where I can drive it or get the GVW plate due to weight/class. Since I wanted to use it for camping, Silver Lake, and cruising around town as well as parades the historical plate wouldn't work as I didn't want to stretch "club activities".

Here is the law I found that backed up what the offices were telling me:
MCL 257.801 Part 1 k:
(k) For each truck weighing 8,000 pounds or less towing a trailer or any other combination of vehicles and for each truck weighing 8,001 pounds or more, road tractor or truck tractor, except as provided in subdivision (j) according to the following schedule of elected gross weights:

Elected gross weight Tax
0 to 24,000 pounds.............................. $ 491.00
24,001 to 26,000 pounds......................... 558.00
26,001 to 28,000 pounds......................... 558.00
28,001 to 32,000 pounds......................... 649.00
So since my GVW is 23000lbs (13000 truck + 10000 load capacity) I had to get the commercial GVW plate with the 24000 sticker for $491 a year.

They did neglect to tell me that the GVW plates expire in February, so I had to go back and get it exchanged for a 6 month tag and will have to go back in December for a 2 month.

My insurance is through State Farm, because of weight the policy is "commercial" at $40 a month.

Would love to not pay almost $500 a year for registration but don't see much of a way around it.

ETA: Link to the full law for the above excerpt : http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-257-801

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

I believe the curb weight of an F350 crew cab Duelly 4x4 is over 8000 lbs. With all the crap they throw on those things, I would wager hundreds of lbs more. The 5th wheels, the piles of chrome... yet they get regular tags no problem?

'06 Ford F-350 4x4 King Ranch Crew Cab DualieFord's King Ranch is truly a unique pickup. With a weight of 8,160 pounds, it's 800 pounds heavier than the Dodge and it feels like it. The Ford, more so than any of the trucks, traces its heritage straight back to the working man's idea of what is important. The King Cab is the heaviest. It has the highest towing capacity and the lowest axle ratio. It's clear that the Ford is built to get the job done.
Ford Chevy Dodge 1 Ton Dualie Diesel Trucks - Diesel Power Magazine

You know what? They want to rip me off for commercial tags at 4 times the price? I'll tag it Historic and they can spin on it. If I ever need to do anything special I guess I'll risk the ticket. The bureaucratic little ratbags can kiss the shiny side.

They could have had $150, they'll get $30.

I'll look for a loophole later. The thing spends most of it's time sitting anyway.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the curb weight of an F350 crew cab Duelly 4x4 is over 8000 lbs. With all the crap they throw on those things, I would wager hundreds of lbs more. The 5th wheels, the piles of chrome... yet they get regular tags no problem?

Ford Chevy Dodge 1 Ton Dualie Diesel Trucks - Diesel Power Magazine

You know what? They want to rip me off for commercial tags at 4 times the price? I'll tag it Historic and they can spin on it. If I ever need to do anything special I guess I'll risk the ticket. The bureaucratic little ratbags can kiss the shiny side.

They could have had $150, they'll get $30.

I'll look for a loophole later. The thing spends most of it's time sitting anyway.
Don't blame the SOS clerks, they don't make the rules. It's confusing to them because they don't run into this every day. They are thankful you can speak English. But as far as use of the vehicle, unless you drive it daily or haul (for $$ or not), i'd tag it Historical. Just don't be a jacka** to the LEO if you get stopped, and have a plausible excuse for driving it.

leepotter

When I got my A2 a few months ago the title I got with was listed as a 1971 Jeep Stake. Got the Historical Plate for it. If I get stopped I'm just gonna tell the cop I'm road testing some repairs or something and hope it flies. I don't drive it all that often.

Got Hagerty Insurance for $200 a year. They want it kept in a garage though. I had to take a picture of the truck in the garage and send it to them.

Heath_h49008

I got a great deal on my insurance from State Farm for unlimited use for $50/month.

I just want plates to match.

I have something up my sleeve... I couldn't make it to the SOS between class and work, so the attempt will be made on Monday.

Full normal plates or Historic...

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my A2 a few months ago the title I got with was listed as a 1971 Jeep Stake. Got the Historical Plate for it. If I get stopped I'm just gonna tell the cop I'm road testing some repairs or something and hope it flies. I don't drive it all that often.

Got Hagerty Insurance for $200 a year. They want it kept in a garage though. I had to take a picture of the truck in the garage and send it to them.
You do not have to have a reason to drive with historical/authentic plates in Michigan.
You can not drive it for normal transportation, I.E. drive it back & forth to work.
Not for grocery getting either or hauling firewood.
You can go for a drive.
You can stop at a store / restuarant while out for a drive.
You can drive it for maintenance purposes.

I used to keep the law printed out in the glove box, don't need it never had to pull it out never had a problem.
I've had historical/authentic plates for nearly 20 years.

Now the cargo cover would camoflage any thing in the back of a Deuce while you were out for a test drive :shock:

Last edited:

MatthewH

As mentioned try a different SOS office.
Had this problem with my M887. Every year they send me the renewal form, stating I owe $150. Its not commercial, so it should be $55. Every year I dispute it, and they change it back.
This year they wouldn't, she said just pay it blah, blah blah. Went to the other office, got a historical plate for $30/10 yrs.