• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV of the year 2019

Please vote for MVOTY

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CMPPhil

Hi All

Well I'm a little behind getting my truck CANADA into the MV of the year 2019 competition but lets start with a large photo of the truck is now.
Pat 12 Side view.jpg

Enjoyed the Migginsbros posting about the center mounted winch on their Man.

My 1941 Pattern 12 Canadian Military Pattern 3 ton cargo has a center mounted winch The winch is rated at 14 Ton pull, basically it doesn't have a shear pin like modern winches. If you are not careful you can fold the truck if you don't stop pulling. The winch can be run out either to the rear or to the front of the truck. It carries 125 feet of 11/16ths cable. What you see at the beginning is the truck backing on to the winch scotches, which are ground anchors the weight of the truck pushes them into the ground and the cables keep the truck from moving. The following short video shows it in operation.

The one of the drawback of this design on the CMP is basically doesn't have a shear bolt or safety device. The only weak point is the universal and drive shaft to the winch.

More photos and info to follow.

Cheers Phil

CMPPhil

Hi All

Forgot that I needed to tie the truck into the voting photo in with what the truck looks like restored.
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 3.26.11 PM.png

winch.jpg

Looking at all the great trucks that won over the last year it is an honor to be in the group.

Cheers Phil

CMPPhil

Hi All

Need to tie the voting photo of the truck which is how I first saw it to what it looks like now.
Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 3.26.11 PM.png
winch.jpg

Looking at all the great MVs that won during 2019 I'm honored to be in the group.

Cheers Phil

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I had to vote for hndrsonj because I followed the build thread. Heck, I even transported that truck to it's new home....but it sure didn't look like it does now!! 🐻

Last edited:

Migginsbros

Screenshot_20181123-144403.jpg
Screenshot_20181217-124854.jpg
Screenshot_20181217-125142.jpg
Screenshot_20181217-170701.jpg
Some Screenshots out of the TM about size (1inch= 25,4mm) of the MAN Kat 1 truck, the V8 aircooled Deutz engine roaring behind the seats and the cable routing of the winch.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe for those not in the know we should explain the entry of 73m819 a bit more.

Ron (73m819 ) was a quiet but well liked and respected member of our SteelSoldiers family with an amazing amount of technical knowledge of our trucks (and a healthy dislike of CUVCs :ROFLMAO: ). He did not mid getting his hand dirty or share information to help another member.

Due to a tragic accident, he died on January 13, 2019. To honor him, several of us have changed our avatar (see mine). and also the high command decided that there would be no competition for MV of the month March, but that place would be given in honor to 73m819.

Below a picture of Ron at the controls of his wrecker during an engine change at the GA Rally in 2014.

RIP RON GA rally 2014  17c.jpg

More information about this can be found in his memorial thread.

Just looking at the pics, nrs. 2, 3, 6, 9, 11 would be at my "shortlist". However, in this case, the choice is made easy. Honoring a friend comes first.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time for some more canvassing

2014 GA Rally_013c2 ron 5.jpg

The wrecker (73m819) at it's standard place at the 2014 GA Rally, next to the TeePee which Ron used as his place.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come on guys, I only need one more vote to get 2nd place!!

For those of you who dont know why 2nd place is so important, I ran AMi for like 3 months and ended with 2nd place everytime, so 2nd place is as important as 1st.

IMG_1944.JPG

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I just realized I don't have any upgraded pictures. So here are some from when it was in progress.... Sorry even the grease zerks are painted....
winch2.jpg
shifter2.jpg
winch1.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks