• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA 2009 Convoy Pics - Laramie WY

Thunder in NWOR

The MVPA TMC '09 Convoy departed from the Holiday Inn parking lot in Cheyenne, WY at 0700 on Sunday June 28, 2009 and stopped at the Wal-Mart parking lot in Laramie, Wy in mid-morning for a pit stop, where these wonderful photos were taken. The Convoy then went on to noon lunch stop at Medicine Bow and on to overnight at Rawlins.

My son Gunnar and I put 5,200 miles on our 1943 WC 56 Command Car doing the entire coast to coast run - and some driving getting there and back.

In these photos, our Command Car is the one (parked next to the M109 Deuce) with the "Convoy Follows" sign on the front bumper. A wonderful and inspirational adventure.

Thanks for posting these photos - brings back some good memories.

The same group of folks that set up the TMC '09 are preparing to do the Alaska (ALCAN) Highway trip in the summer of 2012 - 70th year of completion of that road. The details will be presented to the directors and members at the MVPA convention this July.
Mark

packardbob

Sweet pictures, nice to see nostalgia mixed in with some newerish things. I lived in Laramie for 5 years for college, and worked at the KMart these pictures were taken in front of. The job might have not sucked so bad if these were in the parking lot at the time. I wonder how well these ran at higher altitude?

Thunder in NWOR

We left the rally point in Cheyenne at about 0700 on Sunday June 28, 2009 and followed the 1919 convoy route as closely as possible, which was west on Route 210. The Happy Jack Road (210) went past the Curt Gowdy State Park and up the hills and over the summit (8700 feet elevation sticks in my mind) and into a rest stop at Summit Information Center - where the giant bust of Abe Lincoln is along I-80.

After the rest stop, we headed south on Summit Road to the Ames Monument where, after photos, traveled on the Hermosa road to Tie Station where we took Route 287 into Laraime for the break point in the above photos.

The roads from the Summit Center to Tie Station were native surface.

The high elevation driving actually went pretty well. Our convoy speeds rarely exceeded 35MPH. Several of the Deuces blew some black smoke on several of the steeper pitches, and the 1918 Dodge Touring car made a short stop, but the vehicles did remarkably well at elevation, here and previously in the mountains in Pennsylvania and later in western Wyoming, and those in Utah and Nevada.

There are early plans to re-run this same convoy on the 100 year in 2019. Start planning!
Mark

packardbob

Sweet, if I can remember that in ten years time I'll surely try to be there. I know the road you took very well, the snow has a habit of drifting over the road between the railroad tracks and Tie Siding, I have a good one of my Bronco parked in the cut the plow made through the drift. The Ames Monument was at one time the site of Sherman, the highest point on the Union Pacific, all that is left are some foundations for the roundhouse, the depot, and the turntable. It would have been great to see those trucks up there too. Were you guys following the route of the Lincoln Highway?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks